ivtv module not usable [solved]

klipp

O.K. for those of you who aren't GURU's (like me!) -- dkms-ivtv is a .rpm included in the 2005 tree. Installing dkms & dkms-ivtv and a couple of other dependencies works fine, but you still can't load the dkms-ivtv module. You get a module not found error. Hopefully adanw will respond with a little more detailed explanation.

yes, sorry, I get a little terse at times ;)

klipp nailed it. install dkms and dkms-ivtv and an alternate ivtv module should be built for you. (We have two for procedural reasons; the one in the kernel was out of date for a long time so someone built a newer version as a dkms module, which wasn't dropped when the kernel was updated, so now you can have two shots at it). See if that one works any better.

Guest Shrink

I installed those two and finally got video outputting using mplayer /dev/video0. kdetv also finally detected the ivtv module but couldn't scan the channels suggesting I configure the v4l module (though where is that???). I also couldn't figure out how to change channels using ptune.pl but at least I have channel 4 with audio! <g>

My tuner is an LG (39). Any suggestions? :help: Thanks!

Kdetv doesn't do ivtv. You have to use kmplayer (for a gui) (but I can't get it to work), mplayer (no gui) or freevo (doesn't work right now) and mythtv (overkill).

Try ptune-gui.pl for a gui :) and mplayer /dev/video0.

To record use record-v4l2.pl. Open a console and type perl record-v4l2.pl. That wil create an .ivtvrc in /home/<yourname>. Edit that file to fit your preferences. Now start kcron. Click new. In the command field type: perl /home/path to/record-v4l2.pl -F <frequency in hz> -t <time in seconds>. Give it a name and choose a start date/time. Do this for every show you want to record.

How I miss Freevo :(

Guest Shrink

Crap - it's times like this that I miss my old generic TV Wonder with the BT878 chipset :wall: It worked with a fresh install of a couple of different Linux distros.

I keep telling myself that it has only been a few days into my education in Linux so I will be patient <g>.

I will install ptune-gui.pl to change channels and see if that works. Sorry for sounding ignorant, but what is the command for ptune-gui.gl? :thanks:

Guest Shrink
cd to the folder where ptune-gui.pl is (the utils folder from the ivtv tar) and type: perl ptune-gui.pl :)

Why oh why does everthing in linux have to be so difficult!!!! :wall:

Phew - that's better...

I gave the perl ptune-ui.pl command in the utils folder and got:

[root@Steve utils]# perl ptune-ui.pl

Can't locate Video/Frequencies.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ptune-ui.pl line 9.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ptune-ui.pl line 9.

[root@Steve utils]#

What did I miss <g>? The only consolation is that my video and audio are playing merrily away on channel 4 while I mess with this!

Thanks!

Forgot to mention - after I close mplayer, it appears that the ivtv module isn't closed because trying mplayer /dev/video0 right after doesn't open a tv window and mprobe ivtv gives: FATAL: Module ivtv is in use.

Furthermore, when I check dmesg, I get:

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47556 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47557 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47558 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47559 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47560 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47561 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47562 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47563 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47564 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47565 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47566 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #47567 Stealing a Buffer, 2048 currently allocated

Any tips? Thanks!

Edited by Shrink

It appears that ptune-ui.pl is not compatable with perl 5.8.6, -- the version does not match what is in 5.8.6's dynaloader file and consequently will not compile. Different ptune-ui's from various ivtv tar's give the same results. Could you explain how you got around this?

I gave the perl ptune-ui.pl command in the utils folder and got:

[root@Steve utils]# perl ptune-ui.pl

Can't locate Video/Frequencies.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ptune-ui.pl line 9.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ptune-ui.pl line 9.

[root@Steve utils]#

You need to install both the Perl Video-Frequencies & Perl Video-ivtv rpms from the distribution, this however will not solve the problem, see the following entry below.

you need to load the perl Video-Frequencies rpm from the dittribution (as well as Perl Video-ivtv), this however will not solve the problem! See the following entry.

Guest Shrink
You need to install both the Perl Video-Frequencies & Perl Video-ivtv rpms from the distribution, this however will not solve the problem, see the following entry below.

you need to load the perl Video-Frequencies rpm from the dittribution (as well as Perl Video-ivtv), this however will not solve the problem!  See the following entry.

Wooohooo!!!! :thanks:

I installed those 2 perl modules (the perl video module was in the distro and I got the perl video ivtv module from Thac's) and now I have the tuner working with the video!!! :banana:

I am afraid to turn it off now <g>.

OMG! I turned it off and it managed to come back on!

Now time to try and find some tv app that isn't as clunky <g>. Thanks a lot everybody!