Replacement for AnyDVD/CloneDVD

kompact

I back up all my movies in XP with AnyDVD and CloneDVD. AnyDVD removes all CSS and region codes, then CloneDVD lets me burn just the titles and remove the menus, fbi warnings, etc.

What is a good Linux replacment for those apps?

As far as I know, Linux has no DVD backup type programs. They have separate tools that together have all the functionality and somone has probably written a script, but nothing comprehensive.

The closest you can come, I think, is running DVD Shrink under Wine and even that is sometimes buggy. Other than that, there's nothing. This is one area that the Linux scene lacks.

Happy hunting,

Nate

Part of the reason that the linux scene is lacking here, is that while there 'are' legitimate uses for that kind of software, they are few and far between, and 'most' people making so called back-up of their DVD's are realy making copies of rentals and so forth. Using services like netflix to make illegal copies of dozens or hundred of DVD's has become a comon practice, and few in the linux communityare in a hurry to be associated with that behaveior.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of anything, just trying to help you understand the lack of software.

However, even k3b can make a 1 to 1 copy of a DVD, and I would imagine, that this would work on any DVD, though I may be mistaken, as I don't yet own a DVD burner.

As for replacements, there are inclusive apps writen, like DVDrip and a few others that are available in PLF, but as suggested above, they will install not only themselves, but a small library of programs which work together to get the job done, if what you want is to rip the DVD's for making Divx files or disks, or some other use.

However, even k3b can make a 1 to 1 copy of a DVD, and I would imagine, that this would work on any DVD, though I may be mistaken, as I don't yet own a DVD burner.

True, however commercial DVDs are dual-layered 9GB discs while MOST DVD-R/RWs are single-layered 4.5 GB discs. There are burners available that will burn 9GB discs, but as far as I know these discs are not being marketed.

Thus the home user, exercising his/her right under fair use to make a backup of their purchased media has to resort to lowering the quality of the video or losing the extras in order to make it fit onto a 4.5GB disc.

Bum deal.

--Nate

http://www.newegg.com

Pretty sure they have dual layer burners and discs and I'm almost certain that k3b supports dual layer disks.

These are of course more expensive than single layer disks, but as I said before, there are very few people out there who make copies of DVD's for legitimate reasons.