10.1 DVD install problem

Guest Spyderpdm

Guest Spyderpdm

Ok, I'm as noob as they get to this, ive never so much as SEEN linux running let alone tried to use it, so I will just give you every detail I can think of

I downloaded "Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-DVD.i586.iso" and burned it as ISO using nero. When burning I get this error

"the extended block size does not correspond with the image length. The block size may be wrong. Do you want to correct the value or ignore the problem "

I click ignore, because when I click fix it takes me to options that make no sence and none of them made a difference anyways, ive gone though a whole spindal of DVD's trying other options

I have two computers, this and a second, the second is the one I wish to instal linux on so that I may get practise with it while still maintaining a comp with an OS I can use

the computer I am trying to install onto has two HDD's, when installing linux I took out the windows one, and tried to install on the second

I could format the drive, choose languages and such, but when it comes to the part where it is supposed to install I get the following error.

"An error occoured

Invalid hdlist description "e in broken directory yet "

Please tell me I dont have to download it again, I only have dialup, and it takes quite a long time to download.

(BTW, excuse poor spelling, I clicked spell check and I just got a black box)

You should check the file using the md5sum value in order to verify the integrity of the download. I won't say what you don't want to hear! Why not try a purchase from Cheap Bytes?

The md5sum is an alpha-numeric value that is generated by the data of the file. If it matches what it is supposed to be, your download has no errors. Slow downloads of large files over modems gave me lots of errors before I had broadband. The md5sum value for your iso should be in the same directory from which you downloaded the file. Mandriva always issues the md5sums for verification of downloads. In windows, there are some programs available to generate the md5sum of your download. (k3b in linux gives it to you anytime you burn an iso!)

I've attached a windows executable that will install a good program for this purpose in windows. Change the extension to .exe and install it.

acsvi.txt

Guest Spyderpdm

I installed the program, however i'm not sure what to do now.

Was i supposed to get another file when I downloaded mandrake or am I supposed to scan the ISO file I downloaded?

cause all I have is the one ISO file

Guest Spyderpdm

Hmm, I either didnt get that or deleted it,

I downloaded it to a folder thats full of all sorts of crap, so I could have deleted it.

So go back to the download and check the tree to see if you can get just that file again. The public mirrors do not yet have the iso's, and so there is no reference to the md5sum. You'll have to go back to where you got it.