Closing X [solved]

Hi.

I was just wondering how i can shut down X (KDE) on my 10.1 and LE2005. I have a server running 10.1 and i don't need KDE running there eating resources as i can log into that machine with ssh. And can i start KDE again thru ssh when i need it? I think it is possible that way with startkde.

I think killing X ain't the solution because i tested it on my laptop and it just freezes. :P

This isn't an urgent one but any help would be appreciated. :)

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by Murda

right, that will cause it to boot to a console when you start it up. if you want to stop X running without rebooting, switch to a console with ctrl-alt-F1, login as root or su to root and then do:

service dm stop

Thanks, this one solved my problem.

I answered now because i had no time to test this because i screwed up my laptop and had to reinstall.

Guest Adriano1

Another way to change the option before rebooting is to do

chkconfig [--level levels] servicename <on|off|reset>

so in this case it'd be

chkconfig --level 5 dm off

to boot into level 5 without dm running. Bit useless in this case, though, for as far as I remember, the difference between level 5 and level 3 or 4 is dm running. Ah, xfs too, yes.

If you're using KDE, I reccomend, you go through the log-out procedure to end session BEFORE you kill the dm.

Killing the dm 'shouldn't' ever cause a problem, but you never know, and loggin out of kde only takes a few seconds.