Crossover Plugin

hugerobot

I was on the Codeweaver's site... I added the Crossover Plugin to my cart.... I was just about to checkout- and pay $24.95... when it occurred to me: I don't know anyone who uses this thing... I wonder if how well it works, if at all!

I want this for watching embedded streaming quicktime movie trailers (Apple.com, Hollywood.com, JoBlo.com) Sorensen format or something. Who is this Sorensen guy and why is his format so difficult to support?! :D

I have the most recent mplayer (which totally rocks and plays every other freaking format I'd ever want), and am using the wftv mozilla plugin...which tries hard, but generally fails.

So, is anyone using this Crossover plugin, with Mozilla, under Mandrake 9.0 in KDE 3.0, specifically?

All I have to do is click submit and I can download it, and I'll be 25 bucks lighter... I just want to hear some rave reviews first.

Also, this isn't some Wine thing is it? I am not interested in that. I want a straight forward plugin. I want to put it in my mozilla/plugins directory and watch the Kill Bill trailer, which, as I've mentioned before, kicks so much ass.

Thanks again

Rob

I want this for watching embedded streaming quicktime movie trailers (Apple.com, Hollywood.com, JoBlo.com) Sorensen format or something. Who is this Sorensen guy and why is his format so difficult to support?! :D 

I have the most recent mplayer (which totally rocks and plays every other freaking format I'd ever want), and am using the wftv mozilla plugin...which tries hard, but generally fails. 

I don't know anything about crossover.

I use the newest mplayer and it seems to play .mov's fine. I assume that the latest trailers for Star Trek Nemesis etc are in Sorensen format. What pisses me off is that the preview site only offer streaming format and not downloadable files, I can't get mplayer to stream in mozilla(not that i have put any effort into it) so i usually view source and figure out where the file is stored to grap it.

They should use the xvid codec anyway, the quality to size ratio is great for that codec

http://www.xvid.org/

cross over plug-in works decently in same cases. on codeweavers site there is a page describing all the pluses and minuses of their program, what does and doesn't work well. atleast, there used to be. surprisingly, they are actually honest about their software (atleast, as far as i could tell)

Guest HaloScan

I use the Crossover Plugin in KDE 3.0, Mdk 9.0 and Phoenix/Mozilla. It works for what it claims to do--play quicktime files, MS Media Player files (asf,wmv,avi,etc) and Macromedia Shockwave (Flash is already available as a native plugin but Shockwave isn't available for linux :- ).

There is a performance hit since the above programs aren't running in native mode of course but any average (even my old P2 400 that I had been using plays fine). Oh and this is a 'Wine thing' as you said. But it's a modified, self contained version and doesn't interfere with any existing Wine/Winex installation.

I'd recommend you try their demo before you buy just to make sure but I personally use it almost daily.

johnnyv wrote:

I can't get mplayer to stream in mozilla(not that i have put any effort into it) so i usually view source and figure out where the file is stored to grap it.

I've tried that so many times but I haven't been able to get that to work... what are you doing that I'm not?

I am simply typing

Is there an argument in the command I should be using? If I can get it to work I will be completely happy with copying it from the page source.