Mandrake 10.1 on VMware 5

I have succesfully installed Mandrake 10.1 with VMware 5 on my Windows XP Pro SP2 host system. I installed VMware tools and it seems to be working cause I can choose th resolution I want to use and it works correctly. However, the ethernet device is not working correctly. What do I have to do?

Everytime I boot mandrake, the boot takes lots of time when it reachs the line "Bringing up eth0 interface" (or something like that, can't remember), in verbose mode of course.

And after while, it says [FAILED] where every other line says [OK]. I guess this is the only thing missing for my distro on VMware to work perfectly.

By the way, on my virtual machien settings, I have Bridged network conection selected.

So, any ideas on what I have to do to make it work?

i run the exact opposite : xp/windows on linux

during the setup ,networking questions are asked and need to be configured .

do you have a dhcp server handing out IP addresses for the llinux guest . the delay when booting is the result of the linux machine looking for an IP .you will see an IP address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx as a result of the linux guest failing to get a DHCP assigned IP.

most home routers handle DHCP , how is the IP address of the XP box configured ? did you manually configure it ?

yes, my router supports dhcp, in windows everything is working fine and I manually configured everything. in linux, I didn't touch anything regarding network stuff.

su to root

ifconfig

and see what the IP is

if you manually configured windows maybe dhcp isn't serving ? the scope/ range of the dhcp server have enough addresses to hand out ?

can you ping the router ? whats it's IP ? thats considered the gateway .

maually enter the gateway and see if you get a dhcp address

or manually configure all the numbers( IP -subnet mask- gateway) INCLUDING DNS server IP from your ISP. in mandrake_control_center / network & internet

ok, after thinking a bit, I decided to delete the connection and create a new one forgetting that I was in linux and just reading the text and using my knowlodge of networking, tried to configure it and I think I got something - see attached.

But I tried to access www.google.com for instance but didn't work, the output on the browser was:

An error ocurred while loading http://www.google.com

Timeout on server

Connection was to www.google.com at port 80

post-1634-1114543456_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1114543495_thumb.jpg

Add DNS server IP's

the icon to the right of make a new connection

don't know the dns server IP's ? using windows at a command prompt type " nslookup"

hit enter

Edited by ddmcse

in mcc choose network & internet then choose internet access find out what your Internet service providers DNS servers IP 's are .

they will have 2 DNS servers listed maybe more . look on the providers web site under support type stuff .

^doesn't work..

I don't get it. I can ping www.google.com but I can't view it with konqueror or Mozilla, it just doesn't open. (timeout)

btw, when I said this, I mean, it doesn't work at all with the isp servers, but configured like before (first dns server = my router's ip) it works partially... I can ping some serveres like www.google.com but not the dns? I get no response...