Corrupt screen after leaving pc on

Guest i_like_bread

Guest i_like_bread

When I leave my pc on when im not useing after about 15mins the screen goes corrupted (green bocks and suff) and I have to reboot. I do not ever get the problem when I am useing the the PC, or in windows, disableing screensavers did not help. Im useng mandrake 10.1 and have installed the ati cytaist drivers for my 9600 radion. I really like useing linux instead of xp, but its really annoying not being able to leave it on to do a download or whatever.

Sorry if i did not put this post in the right place, but the hardware works fine in every other way. Thanks for any help!

(sorry if i did not give enough detail but im in a lesson now!)

Edited by i_like_bread

Im not sure what the problem is but its probasbly in the [power management somewhere

you can try

CTRL+ALT+BKSPC to restart the X server... it will kill running processes of the logged in user but if the dload is finished then that shoyuld be OK....

meanwhile it looks like you will need to experminent with the power saving and perhaps turn on a screen saver and stop the blanking / poweroff ?

try the ctrl+alt+bkspc and see what happens... and also look at the end of

/var/log/X.....log (it sould be obvious once your in the dirctory)

look for anything useful at the end and post it here :D

Guest i_like_bread

I tried useing no frame buffer, it did the same. Oh yeh it does not matter what desktop I use (i use xface now, but kde and gnome do it) I also had the same problem on mandrake 10. It also had the same problem witout the ati drives.

another thing to try and identify the cause is to use the vesa driver just to test.

See if the same thing happens...

if so its either a hardware prob on the card (*) or the ATI driver interfering with power management

* I know you said it didn't happen in windows but it could be a software workaround in the win driver.

This sort of thing is REALLY frustrating... you have my sympathy... (buy nvidia next time :D)

If you have another PC you can remotely log in and perhaps kill/diagnose the problem!

Guest i_like_bread

Yeh I wil try the romote pc thing, so I can check if it is just display going. I will try the vesa as a last resort though becuase it took long enough trying to get the bloody drivers to work with ut2004! I see what your saying about nvidia, but I didnt buy this card to use with linux and ati seemed the best option at the time for a poor boy! Although its really fustrating I try to treat it as a learning experence (one of the few I get... school ICT lessons make me want to kill myself!)

Anyway, thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
Add the following line in your xorg.conf

Section "Device"

Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"

EndSection

Is this tip for CRTs or can be used for LCDs as well? My laptop screen always goes grabbled when it goes to standby or suspend. Often I have to suspend it for a few seconds just to clear up the mess on the screen.

Is this tip for CRTs or can be used for LCDs as well? My laptop screen always goes grabbled when it goes to standby or suspend. Often I have to suspend it for a few seconds just to clear up the mess on the screen.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...7174/README.txt

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "string"

Allows you to override what the NVIDIA kernel module

detects is connected to your video card. This may

be useful, for example, if you use a KVM (keyboard,

video, mouse) switch and you are switched away when

X is started. In such a situation, the NVIDIA kernel

module cannot detect what display devices are connected,

and the NVIDIA X driver assumes you have a single CRT.

Valid values for this option are "CRT" (cathode ray

tube), "DFP" (digital flat panel), or "TV" (television);

if using TwinView, this option may be a comma-separated

list of display devices; e.g.: "CRT, CRT" or "CRT, DFP".

NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is

regarded by the driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be

used to refer to flatpanels connected via a DVI port.