loading problem(solved)

Guest makarx

Guest makarx

i just installed mandrake 10.1, but when i loaded it for the first time, the screen goes black. so then i tried loading in failsafe, it did some things and the last thing it did was some apc thing after checking my clock speed. then it just stays there.....

(edit)TY for helpin me!(edit)

Edited by makarx

Guest makarx

ok, its said apci was the last thing to load in failsafe. it picked up my graphics card fine and everything except for my network card. i think it has something to do with me dual booting. i am using kde, but the kernel doesnt even load..... oh yah, im using the 3 cd version, but it says there is a 4th cd for kde 3.3. i uncheckmarked it because i dont have it...... i will post my entirescreen tommorow... sleep....

what video card in particular are you using....

most of us use the same downloaded cd's (less the fourth, same as yourself) and we've worked through alot of the problems. is this a laptop or a desktop? did you check the md5sums of the iso's once you downloaded them? (winmd5sum is a handy program).

worst case scenario, you reinstall disabling acpi in the bootloader options.

Guest i_like_bread

Im not sure if is the same as your problem but I will say anyway.

When i installed mandrake and plugged in another hard drive after installing it (i didnt want it messing with xp hard drive) I got some error about nor finding the kernel image or something. I just reinstalle with all the hard drives plugged in and it configured the boot loader fright and it worked.

Guest makarx

Okay. i tried reinstalling it didnt help. I had a ubutntu linux partition on my harddrive and errased it to put on Mandrake. My graphics card is the ATI Rage 128 Pro GL agp. i am surpriesed it found it because i cant find drivers for it anywhere, and microsoft just got the drivers for it like 3 months ago. (though the card is pretty dam old) If i disable the apci will i be able to dual boot. For booting i tried Grub, and then lilo. i will post the error i get in failsafe boot.

Guest makarx

HERES THE MESSAGE:

Checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd

APCI: Looking for DSDT in initrd...not found!

Freeing initrd memory: 174k free

init init/main.c:724

do_basic_setup init/main.c:634

do_basic_setup init/main.c:636

NET: Registered protocol family 16

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb3e0, last bus=1

PCI: using configuration type 1

mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)

APCI: subsystem revision 20040326

spurious 8259A interrupt:IRQ7

APCI: IRQ9 SCI:Edge set to Level Trigger

Then it just stays there. that isnt the whole message but is most of what i can see. in reggular boot the thing just stays black.....

(edit) it might be acpi, not apci (edit)

Edited by makarx

You can use your rescue mode on cd1, mount your partitions and in a terminal use vi to edit your lilo.conf file and turn off acpi. You probably have an append line alread so just add the acpi option in that case.That will take care of the acpi stuff. If you are using grub you can do it on the fly, but I don't know grub so you'll have to ask others.