Info: BENQ DW1620 DVD writer OK in Mdk 10.0

sellis

I've just installed a Benq DW1620 Pro 16 DVD R/RW Dual Layer DVD Burner (more info at ebuyer - a bargain at £30) and it seems to be behaving itself so far.

Published specs say:

- Read Speed: 40x (CD) / 16x (DVD)

- Write Speed: 40x (CD) / 16x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD+R DL)

- CD / DVD Rewrite Speed: 24x (CD) / 4x (DVD±RW)

No problem with install; just swapped it in instead of my Toshiba DVD-ROM/CDRW drive and rebooted. K3B detects it and reports the media type of a DVD+RW OK, and I'm just running a test burn now with a few video files.

Speed was as expected, about 4x, that is 3.4GB in about 12 minutes, plus a couple of minutes to erase.

One minor fly in the ointment - I had to "force" the burn, as a formatted DVD+RW is apparently detected as a DVD-ROM for some reason. I'm using k3b 0.11.1-15mdk according to rpmdrake. I will upgrade, see if that fixes the problem, and report back.

Result seems OK at a quick test - I am playing an episode of Alexei Sayle's "Stuff" from DVD as we speak, which makes me happy because (a) I haven't wasted £30, and (B) Alexei Sayle is very very funny.

(As usual, I did cut myself putting the case back together, and had one heart-stopping moment when I turned on the power switch after bolting the system back together, and nothing happened. TIP: It helps to turn on the switch at the front of the case too.)