Printer Samsung SCX-1150F driver for mandrakelinux

adolfix

I have a Samsung SCX-1150F multipurpose (printing, scaning and faxing) printer connected locally (USB) to my Win XP Home desktop. It works well. This printer is shared. I can print on this printer from my Win XP Pro laptop too.

I have installed mandrakelinux V 10.1 on a PIII. One Canon BJC4000 printer is connected locally on the parallel port. It works well.

From the XP desktop I can print on the two printers.

But on the mandrakelinux I can print only on the Canon BJC400. I do not arrive to print on the Samsung printer. I have tried all I can. I think that the only solution would be to have the driver for mandrakelinux for this printer.

I could not find it on the Samsung website.

Does any one could telle me where I could find it to install it on my PIII ?

Thanks in advace.

Thanks for your responses.

I verified into the Services of the Center of Controle of Mandrake and the Samba SBM network services and the CUPS services are running and are configurated to run from the starting up of the machine.

CUPS is cofigurated to detect automatically other printers on the network.

I had set up the printer as being on a SMB server.

You will find here below what I obtain after executing the command you recommended :

Domain=[HP1] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment

--------- ---- -------

IPC$ IPC IPC distant

print$ Disk Pilotes d'imprimantes

SharedDocs Disk

2005 Disk

Samsung Printer Samsung SCX-1150 Series

Domain=[HP1] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment

--------- -------

Workgroup Master

--------- -------

CUPS proposes drivers for other Samsung printers but not for this one. I have tried with some other Samsung drivers proposed by Mandrakelinux but without succes.

I even arrive to see the test to print on the printing panel of Windows. The document to print arrives up to the printer but it is not printed.

Would be only the installation of the right driver the only solution ?

Thanks in advance.

You can check that samba is getting you to the printer by using smbclient //server_name/printer_name and when you get a prompt enter the command print with a file, a simple one is print /etc/fstab. It does seem that your problem is with Cups. When you try to print a test page check if you get any errors on the manage printers page of localhost:631.

I would think that even if you had the wrong driver something should happen when you try to print a test page. Did the test page make it to the Windows spool?

One odd problem I once had networking Linux and Windows (2000 Pro) had to do with my Linux box having the same name as a user.

Sorry for the disorganized reply.

Well, my conclusion is that the linux driver is required if I want to print from my linux box on the printer Samsung SCX-1152F connected to the XP box.

In order to be sure, I disconnected the JBC4000 printer from the linux box and connected it to the XP box. I installed its driver on the XP box. On the XP box I set it up as shared and as printer by default.

I declared it on the linux box as a printer on a SMB server. I completed the data required fot the configuration. The driver for this printer exists on mandrakelinux so I selected it.

And it works.

Thanks for all the responses.

I hope this experience will be helpful to others.

Bye