Blank screen

Guest verbatim

Guest verbatim

Hello:

I installed Mandrake 10.1 on a presario 2170CA, and the installation went flawless. However, when i rebooted the computer, the lilo boot manager came up, and i choose linux. the progress bar then almost reached the end, then the screen went blank.

I have no idea what is going on, but I found a posting that describes my problem here: http://www.thisishull.net/archive/index.php/t-58855.html

I tired following those instructions, using a ubuntu live CD (the knoppix cd gave me a blank screen as well), but i could not get my partition to mount. The partition that mandrake lives on is hda5.

Any help or clarification of the instructions above would be appreaciated.

Edited by verbatim

Probably a problem with the screen settings. In the bootmanager, log in 'failsafe', type: init 3. Log in as root (by typing root <enter> password <enter> :) ) and type XFdrake (note the capitals). Adjustthe settings to fit your screen (if all fails use the vesa driver).

Log out of root by typing exit, login as your normal user and type startx.

Good luck.

Guest verbatim

I tried your advice devries. The booted up started, until it got stuck, and here are the last two lines of the startup:

ACPI: Subsystem revision 20040326

ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Level Trigger

That is as far as the startup process went. I am at a loss.