Re-partition drive

MrWhisp

Hi,

I have dual Mdk / Win XP on my laptop, and after using Mdk quite a while no I want to minimize or remove my XP partition. The only thing I use that partition is for gaming....

My question is:

- Is it possible to reduce the size of the Win partiton and increase the size of my / Mdk partition without reinstalling Mdk?

/MrWhisp

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Being able to do both is not likely. You will be able to reduce the Windows partition's size, but you probably won't be able to just increase the size of the Linux partition. Usually you can only increase the size of a partition by tacking free space onto the end, not onto the start. so assuming your Windows partition comes before your Linux one, you'll be left with some free space you'll have to convert into a separate partition.

It is possible, but you will need a commercial (not cheap) application like V-Com Partition Commander or Symantec Partition Magic, Or Acronis Disk director suite.

Before resizing it's recommended to completely defragment the windows partition, including the MFT (if using NTFS filesystem).

Guest tigre

One solution is to resize the windows partion smaller, and create a new linux partion with the space created. You can have multiple linux partions. See man parted or look up the users manual http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/...ono/parted.html.

If you want to try a gui version then:

http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/index.en.html

One note of caution: Always back up any data that you cannot afford to lose, before you mess around with partions.