Fortran and Cobol compilers

Ey, my mom dragged me to a local church used book sale...and as we were standing in line for half an hour, I was thinking 'GAH! They better have a FORTRAN book or something!'...and I got inside...and I found 'Problem Solving and Structured Programming in FORTRAN 77 Third Edition' (1987) and 'Fundamentals of COBOL Programming Second Edition' (1969)

So...any good compilers out there for these? I know, seems like a waste of money, but I like the feeling of having programming books this old, and they were only 65 cents...for both :P

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Good to know...I told my bro and he seemed to think I was insane...though I don't think he realized the books were less than a buck for both of 'em...and I think the most complex language he ever tried to learn was VB...or maybe Python, I think he's working on that...but he's more of a webmaster, so I wouldn't really be surprised if he didn't know what FORTRAN was :P

• 2 weeks later...

g77 is ok for learning, but sucks for performance in the real world. If you get interested in Fortran try the Intel Fortran Compiler (which is also an f90/f95 compiler), which is free for non-commercial use.

COBOL is still used on business mainframes (my flat-mate is a COBOL programmer for an insurance firm), tiny-cobol is a Linux-based compiler for COBOL.

All the COBOL that's still out there was the main reason for the Y2K scare.

Computer Associates, Accucobol and (formerly) MicroFocus all sell PC compilers to write new code or debug/modify old code under Windoze so as to not waste cycles on the mainframes until the code is ready for final test. They are also used to move apps off the mainframe when companies downsize their hardware.

COBOL was the first language that was supposed to run on any computer.

BD

:drum: