Firestarter (Ubuntu)

I installed a newer version of Firestarter today (after upgrading to the new ubuntu) and ive had nothing but problems, as soon as i turn the firewall on i can't even view websites and ive messed around with settings for the last hour and just can't seem to resolve it, since i have no idea what im doing maybe the screenshots can explain what im doing wrong.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Any help at all is appreciated.

Guest Adriano1

All those screenshots say is "The firewall is disabled". Oh, and that, for some reason, you are blocking UDP packets for the DHCP service from 192.168.1.1 which should be, I hope to $DEITY, on your local network. So if you could please explain a bit better your setup, like for example if it's just one PC or if it's a network (yes, it's a network, but how is it setup then?), and which 'puter is on the net, which gets internet through sharing, etc.

The other thing I suggest is go with the basics. If you _can_ browse and work with the firewall disabled, then try running the firewall wizard again.

Yes it's off in the screenshots, but only because i was wanting to post this topic. I've tried unblocking the connections 192.168.1.1 and opened the DHCP port, yet it keeps blocking them anyway. Yes, i just used the basic settings and they never worked for me. I'm using this on my home PC im connecting through ethernet with a D-Link ADSL modem, which all worked fine on my older version of firestarter, that's why im suprised it isn't working this time around.

Guest Adriano1

What I asked is: why is the machine showing 192.168.1.1? what does that address belong to? the DSL modem? another computer?

I think you could be setting the firewall (perhaps the update did fsck it up, I'm guessing here) on the wrong interface: remember the interface for internet is not one of the eths (eth0, eth1) in the case of DSL, it's ppp0.

If that's not it, I don't know now what to say.

Guest Adriano1

Did you try setting it to ppp0? if the connection uses pppoe, and is a DSL, it should be ppp0. If it's the only choice, I don't know what to say, except to get into the firestarter site and mailing list for help.