Screen distorted

Guest jm_araujo

Guest jm_araujo

Hello, I just installed Mandrake 10.1 and everything works fine except for one thing that is really annoying me during shutdown.

When I turn off my laptop and during the shutdown of Mdk my screen unstable and the image is distorted.

The boot runs normally and the desktop is perfect. My videocard is Geforce4 MX440 and I’m running the original drivers from Mdk10.1.

Can anyone please help me?

You could try installing the official nvidia drivers. There are guides all over this board for doing it, so use the search function. The drivers can be obtained from http://www.nvidia.com

If the problem is not related to the drivers (you should install them anyway) then consult http://www.linux-laptop.net and look up your specific model to see if anyone else has had this problem or if it is covered in the installation guide.

Guest jm_araujo

Hello again, I tried to install the drivers for my videocard, but when i close X to the command line, the problem comes, i can't see a thing, so I can't install the drivers.

I also didn't find any information related with my problem.

Does anyone have a clue?

Guest jm_araujo

devries, thank you for your tip, but it didn't work. The fast horizontal sweep continues. I don't know what to do, i think this problem is connected to the videocard driver, but i can't intall it because the distortion. In the other hand, everything works fine, except when i shutdown MDK and when I close X.

I think the only way to solve this problem is to boot Linux only with the command line and install the Nvidia driver. Can anyone tell me how to boot Linux just with the command line?

Edited by jm_araujo

Guest jm_araujo

devries, using the failsafe, I was able to install Nvidia driver. Now I can close X and use the command line normally. The shutdown screen remains the problem. Now there is no distortion and no horizontal sweep, but the screen turns black and grey blinking.

I believe that the type of screen that I get when turning off is not really important because now I can see a screen with a lot of different colours and the computer still shuts down.

Edited by jm_araujo