update issues after update

Kieth

After I did some normal updates, I have had problems. I already started a thread about the length of time it takes to load. Well, since I was having trouble, I decided to try KDE, which I have not been using. Well, I got some of the same replies as I always get, and was able to resolve (example, a problem with .ICEauthority). Well, it crashes, giving me this message: "The application Soundserver (artsd) crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT)". Any idea what the problem is?

Kieth

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Edited by Kieth

Thanks for the reply. I can tell that I was very unclear. Because of the crash, I can't get into KDE. I tried more than once, and it just tells me it crashed, then just sets there doing nothing. All I can see is the blue screen and my mouse. Could I start it from Gome or another desktop?

Kieth

And if you split the command? (&& means both commands gets executed) Do first killall artsd to make sure arts is killed. Then artsd & (& makes the program run in the background) to start arts. :)

If arts is not the problem it must be something else. Post the other errors you get.

OK, I tried it again, giving the seperate commands. It didn't work, and this is what was written:

command: killall artsd

artsd: no process killed

command: artsd &

unix_connect: can't connect to server (unix:/tmp/mcop-kieth/localhost_localdomain -340d-425d32f8)

loading extension from '/usr/libartsmidi.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZTv0_n28_N4Arts14StdSynthModule11autoSuspendEV

MCOP ObjectManager: Could not load extension libartsmidi:la.

MCOP ObjectManager: can't find implementation for Arts::MidiManager.

artsd: object.cc:1166: static Arts::Object_base* Arts::Object_base::_create(const std::string&)& Assertion 'skel' failed.

Does it make any sense to you? Does it mean that the MCOP is the problem?

Well, I did my urpmi updates. It wanted to remove everything that had to do with kde. After much frustration and problems I said yes. That created more problems, so I ended up doing a clean install. At least now I can do everyting. I believe the conflicts came from the kde files I updated. All the files/programs I downloaded were off the easyurpmi download sites. How would I know if any are non-official? I would definately like to avoid the problems again! Also, I would still like to update my programs, but now I'm afraid to do it. Is there any "sure" way of doing it? Would the best way be to download the 10.1 official iso images and do another clean install?

Thanks for the help, even though I ended up messing up everything.

Kieth