xmms gives blank screen when playing mpg (solved)

daniewicz

I installed XMMS and used it to play an mpg file and it worked fine the first time. After that, all I have been getting is a blank screen. The audio works fine. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, Mandrake 10.1 and KDE 3.2.

Edited by daniewicz

XMMS does not playback mpeg per se, unless you have installed mplayer, the xmms-mplayer wrapper and (for many video formats) the mplayer codecs package.

Since most "codecs" distro packages, including Mandrake's, are more or less crippled, I suggest getting the initial package from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html and deflating it at the place mplayer wants it.

So I am confused but everything seems to be working now.

Initially, I installed XMMS only, noobishly thinking that mplayer was integrated somehow. When I was able to watch an mpeg video and have both the sound and video work, I felt that things realy were integrated.

After that first viewing, all I could get out of an mpeg was audio. That prompted me to post here.

I have since installed gmplayer, and now all is well. How WAS I able to watch that mpeg that ffirst time? :screwy: