no ACPI on 10.1

Guest hayim

Guest hayim

Hi,

sorry for starting *another* ACPI thread but 4 hours of trawling through whats out there hasnt gotten me anywhere.

I'm running 10.1 with 2.6.8.1-12mdk kernel, on an Acer Extensa 2308 (im in Australia, so this model may not exist everywhere).

Im trying to get power management to work, and the Configure Your Desktop tool in KDE tells me this:

Your computer seems to have a partial ACPI installation. ACPI was probably enabled, but some of the sub-options were not - you need to enable at least 'AC Adaptor' and 'Control Method Battery' and then rebuild your kernel.

How do i check what i have 'enabled'? where are these kinds of things set?

Do I have to rebuild my Kernel?

I saw someone saying that installing 2.6.10 fixed their acpi issues, but i cant seem to find much about how a newbie might go about updating to 2.6.10.

Thanks for your help, Im really hoping i can get this Linux thing to work, i dont wanna be another run-back-to-windows statistic....

Install all acpi packages (there are 2 I believe). Open the Mandrake Control Center (MCC), software, install software, searchfor acpi. Then go to the MCC, system, services and make sure the acpi service is running. Then check the kde control center again.

Guest hayim

thanks for your help, devries.

rpm -qa | grep acpi gives

acpi-0.07-4mdk

acpitool-0.2.5-1mdk

acpid-1.0.3-1mdk

MCC services shows acpid and acpi both as running. cpufreqd is also running, but cpufreq is stopped. If i try to start that one, it says that 'probing cpufreq modules FAILED'.

KDE CC still has the same message (both before and after i tried to start cpufreq)

Meanwhile,

[root@localhost hayim]# acpi -V

Thermal 1: ok, 55.0 degrees C

[root@localhost hayim]# acpitool -e

Kernel version : 2.6.8.1-12mdk  -  ACPI version : 20040326

-------------------------------------------------------

Battery status : <not available>

AC adapter    : <not available>

Thermal info  : ok, 55 C

Fan            : off

Fan            : off

and

[root@localhost hayim]# acpitool -c

CPU type              : Intel® Pentium® M process

CPU speed              : 1499.331 MHz

Processor ID          : 0

Bus mastering control  : yes

Power management      : yes

Throttling control    : yes

Limit interface        : yes

Active state          : C2

hope that tells you something...

ps.

in directory

[root@localhost hayim]# ls /proc/acpi

ac_adapter/  button/                              event      info                          sleep

alarm                dsdt                                  fadt        power_resource/    thermal_zone/

battery/          embedded_controller/    fan/      processor/              wmi/

ac_adapter/ , battey/ and wmi/ are all empty.

Google brings me this:

http://archives.andrew.net.au/lm-sensors/msg28343.html

Which suggests what I was starting to think myself - the support for your laptop just isn't complete in the kernel itself. Upstream just doesn't have the code to get that information out of your laptop. Unfortunately, if that's the case, there ain't a whole let we can do to help. :(