Messed up login from console

Maxplayer14

Ok, in the last few days I have upgraded to 10.1 and KDE 3.4.

I had everything working pretty well beside the KDM login. Which I found out was an issue.

I did the:

urpme mdkkdm

urpme kdebase-kdm

urmpi mdkkdm

as suggested in the long Topic on the KDE 3.4 upgrade.

As of right now I just have my system booting to the console and I loging and type KDE.

I can login as root and go into KDE just fine.

But when I try to login under my normal username, I type my username then it ask for password. I put my password in but it just sits there and never logs in. I know something I did above caused this because before I did that I had no problem logging into console and doing KDE under my normal username.

Anyone have any suggestions? I mean I can create a new account I guess, and do a chown on my /home/username folder. Or maybe this wouldn't be the best route. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest yendiswpg
But when I try to login under my normal username, I type my username then it ask for password.  I put my password in but it just sits there and never logs in.  I know something I did above caused this because before I did that I had no problem logging into console and doing KDE under my normal username.

Seems to be similar to the bug which shows all directories under root as users and puts you into an endless loop when you try and log in as your username or root.

I ended up installing GDM and it still works flawlessly.

Seems to be similar to the bug which shows all directories under root as users and puts you into an endless loop when you try and log in as your username or root.

I ended up installing GDM and it still works flawlessly.

1) Sounds about right

2) Yep gdm, kdm are way better than the hacked mdkdm....

out of interest check /root and see if its as yendiswpg says...

try changing your user password (as root)

passwd <user>

make sure of you have a seperate partition with /home it is mounted!

No, you don't understand.

I was trying to fix this bug.

I am not booting up to a GUI login ATM. I was fixing it at the time, when it messed up.

I am just booting to my console, then typing my username then password.

After I type my password. It doesn't login, it just sits there. Now on root and a new account I created it will login fine. Then I just type KDE.

But I really prefer to get into my old profile since I have it setup up just like I like it.

so why not try changing the user password?

Can it really hurt confirming you have /home/<user> and that its mounted?

I can login as root and go into KDE just fine.

But when I try to login under my normal username, I type my username then it ask for password. I put my password in but it just sits there and never logs in. I know something I did above caused this because before I did that I had no problem logging into console and doing KDE under my normal username.

Where is it hanging when you try and log in at the console or when you try and log into mdkdm?

If you can log into a console as a user can you startkde as that user?

edit: you do realise you can log in as a user on the console?

Ok....

Yes /home/<user> is mounted. :lol2:

Tried changing password.

I can't login as the stated user on the console that is the problem. I can with root and another temp user I have created. It is just one user. I type "login" then I type <username>, then it ask for password. I put that in and hit "enter." It acts like it accepts it, but it just hangs there. And only on that user. Any other user is fine.