Tips&Tricks Running your own Mailserver

aru

sminons

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:50 pm Post subject: Running your own Mailserver

Ever thought about running your own mailserver?. It gives you a great feeling and fast way of sending emails...right from the command prompt. Checking and sending email is simple and really really fast. All the tools you need for getting your mail system running are available in the Mandrake CDs, but first, there are a few things to note. People can run their mailservers if they have a broadband connection, using a dialup connection would be expensive and not worthwhile. Also, if your ISP is blocking all incoming mails on port 25 , then you wouldnt be able to recieve mails...but you can send mails for sure. First step is to install postfix mail server. The default installation will do just fine and there is no need of any tweaking. This by itself is enough to send and receive mails, but registering your host at some free dynamic IP service gives you your preferred hostname and address. www.no-ip.com is one such service. There are others too.

This step decribed above makes sure that we have a valid hostname, even if the IP changes, also it gives our machine a unique name on the net.The next step is to set your hostname to the one you registered above at the service. This can be done by linuxconf.....that's it.For sending mails, fire up the command prompt and type <mailto>. Supply the email address of the desired recipient. Provide the subject. Then type away as you would type a normal email. After writing the mail, to send it...type <Ctrl+D>. There goes your mail...right out your box! To check mail...type <mail> at the prompt. Well...its easy to learn all that.

I am a newbie myself, any comments are welcome...there might be other ways. This one worked for me..and I am sharing it.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).

• 4 weeks later...

I have all this setup and running great, as well as logcheck, I had to reinstall postfix a few times, kept missing the newaliases symlink for some reason. It is running great now, but my question is, what exactly is it that we enter, as our mail server info at www.no-ip.com ? They require you to enter a valid email server into the MX records settings at their website. Anything I have entered so far has not worked. I have tried, mail.no-ip.org server.no-ip.org, but I am still not able to actually send or receive email using my newly registered Domain name. I can send email locally, but that is it. There website is vague on this part as well.

Guest joehill

does the hostname of my machine figure into this?

ie. say I wanted to forward certain mails from my mail client to my local mail folder (var/mail?), what would the "to:" field be?

the thing is my hostname is just "node1", not a fully qualified domain name.

if my username is joehill, what would my local address be?

I have all this setup and running great, as well as logcheck, I had to reinstall postfix a few times, kept missing the newaliases symlink for some reason. It is running great now, but my question is, what exactly is it that we enter, as our mail server info at www.no-ip.com ? They require you to enter a valid email server into the MX records settings at their website. Anything I have entered so far has not worked. I have tried, mail.no-ip.org server.no-ip.org, but I am still not able to actually send or receive email using my newly registered Domain name. I can send email locally, but that is it. There website is vague on this part as well.

You just use your-domain-name.no-ip.com (or .org if that's what you are using) as the MX entries....at least that worked for me when I was using them when I had......sigh DSL.

Okay everything is configured properly, but now, how do I go about sending and receiving mail using postfix so that it goes out to www.no-ip.com ? This is the first time I have played around with mail in linux. I have read and followed all the Tuts, FAQs, and HowTos. Everything should be ready to go, I want to be able to send and receive mail from my other redirects, and my ISPs mail servers, into my internal mail server. Can this be done ?