after install boot problem - amilo 1405A

Guest cadetboy_sw

Guest cadetboy_sw

I'm new to using Linux and installed Mandrake 10.1 CE edition from a dvd onto my new laptop alongside the Win XP home edition that is still working.

The bootloader screen appear at restart but when I continue to try and boot to linux then the display just hangs.

I tried the failsafe mode but that hung as well whilst looking for PCI.

Is it the graphics or another problem?

Please help as I'd very much like to get into using linux.

Welcome to MUB! Would you divulge more details about your lappy? Brand, video card, model number, something along those lines.

Guest cadetboy_sw

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1405A with Intel 82855GM/GME shared graphics, onbaord wireless network, modem. 1.4MHz Centrino processor, 512Mb RAM and WXGA screen. TI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host controller, ACPI Uniprocessor PC

I got the above from Windows XP, Computer Properties dialog box.

Hope this helps.

I tried the boot with noacpi but same result - blank screen and hung.

I'll need walk through to get any further I think unless it's a common problem.

The Intel chip should work fine with linux. I believe Intel is a base for the design. Can you get to the command prompt at all? (A cursor like a dos prompt) If not, did you burn the media yourself? md5sum OK? good media?

Guest cadetboy_sw

i tried several times to reinstall but was not able to get it running. I then downloaded a copy of SUSE linux which has installed and appears to be running although I haven't managed to get the modem to connect with it yet. I guess that's just me being thick with the settings or something.

Thanks for helping me to date but I think i shall stick with the SUSE install unless I am unable to get the modem working in which case I shall be shackled to Mr Gate's Windows for some time to come.