Has Anyone Installed Gimp-2.2 On MDK 10.1?

mac57

I see that Gimp 2.2 is out, but that it needs various new versions of key libraries like gtk. Has anyone successfully installed Gimp 2.2 on Mandrake 10.1 without trashing the rest of their system? I would like to install Gimp 2.2, but my MDK 10.1 is set up purrfectly, and I don't want to mess it up at this point. Thanks!

I agree with adamw, Gnome and GTK dependencies, etc are one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm enjoying Gimp 2.2 on MDK10.2 rc2, but you should decide yourself if its' worth the risk.

ummm.. it seems quite stable

• 3 months later...

Ah, it seems that my attempt to install Gimp 2.2.4 (after removing the earlier one already installed) failed because I didn't do the libgimp thing. Will try again. MDK 10.1 OE.

I have 'gimp-2.2.8-1.SoS' installed on 10.1. Had to uninstall gimp-2.0 first (which required uninstalling sane-frontends), update libgimp and then 'urpmi -v gimp'. Gimp-2.2.8 installed fine, reinstalled sane-frontends, all is well. I haven't had time to play with the new version of Gimp much yet, but it sems to work fine.

If you do the install of Gimp2.2 by correctly using urpmi, it will select the dependant packages needed by Gimp2.2 and should install without drama. It will leave the earlier Gimp there but that can be easily removed later via MCC Packages Removals.. If you have dramas then you did not use urpmi correctly.

Cheers. John.

Well AJ, I'm as big a believer in urpmi as anyone but you have to keep 2 things in mind:

1. The Gimp developers themselves recommend removing any old version before upgrading. From past experience, I can say that's good advice.

2. I cheated. 2005LE comes with gimp-2.2.4, and I installed the latest version, 2.2.8, and not even on 2005LE, but on Mandrake 10.1, and did it using an unsupported rpm from Seer of Souls intended for 2005LE. Kinda out-of-bounds from standard practice. So cheating with urpmi in ways it's not expecting meant a little extra manipulation was necessary.

That's ok, I ain't mad about it - I was pleasantly surprised urpmi made it so easy, as usual. What a terrific tool.

For whatever reason, when trying to use urpmi I have so far only gone around in sort of concentric circles. The Gimp 2.2 problem was easily solved, though it took some searching. I used both gimp and libgimp from a Dutch site which I reached through pbone. Working fine. The earlier version installed had to be removed, of course.