how to kill Kaffeine? (solved)

kristi

I have tried Kaffeine, totem, mplayer, and Xine. My choice for DVDs is xine.

But when I stick a DVD in, Kaffeine starts up 15 seconds later. it also starts a TSR that stays there even if you tell Kaffeine to "quit". I have to go to task mgr and kill it.

How can I kill Kaffeine? (with a lead pipe, in the study, by Mr Plum)

tia!!!!!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

I have tried Kaffeine, totem, mplayer, and Xine.  My choice for DVDs is xine.

But when I stick a DVD in, Kaffeine starts up 15 seconds later.  it also starts a TSR that stays there even if you tell Kaffeine to "quit".  I have to go to task mgr and kill it.

How can I kill Kaffeine?  (with a lead pipe, in the study, by Mr Plum)

tia!!!!!

Kristi

I stuck in a dvd. 15 sec laqter Kaffeine started. I told it Quit.

I still had 2 entries in task mgr that I couldn't kill ( not enough permissions.

Switch to root. Lo! Kaffeine is merrily playing the movies over there. Tell it to Quit. Check task mgr.

Remove Kaffeine.

Go back to user Stick in DVD. Totem starts. I kill it and Lo! there are 2 totems running in task mgr.

Go back to root and remove totem.

Go back to user and stick DVD in and . . . NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Now I can start xine at my leisure and watch the movie.

Kristi

Well, that behaviour is odd, it shouldn't be running anything as root...but anyways, the way to configure auto-launching (you run 10.2RC2, right?) is to run gnome-volume-properties. You can turn it off or on here. To get more fine-grained control over what it actually *does*, you can either direct it straight at xine from gnome-volume-properties, or you can edit the scripts that it runs by default (you can see their names in the gnome-volume-properties window, they live in /etc/dynamic). I hack the scripts to launch Goobox instead of gnome-cd for audio CDs...

edit: just realised I should emphasise - yes, this is true even for KDE, we use gnome-volume-manager to do autolaunch in KDE and GNOME because it's there and it works and doesn't have much in the way of dependencies. When KDE implements a modern autolaunching framework, I guess we'll switch to that for KDE. :)

Edited by adamw