Scanning under MDK10.1 [solved]

riseringseeker

I have a HP PSC2175 all-in-one. I *was* able to scan with it with The Gimp under MDK10.0. I've upgraded to MDK10.1 (both official), and am now unable to scan, and can only "sort of" find it using "sane-find-scanner".

I recall the 10.0 did not scan "out-of-the-box" either, and someone, somewhere gave me something simple to do to get it to run. Unfortunately, not only can I not remember what that simple trick was, but I can no reference to it here, or the other forums I haunt.

When I say it "sort of" finds it... This is what I get when I run sane-find-scanner:

[karl@localhost karl]# sane-find-scanner

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that

# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x2b11 [PSC 2170 Series]) at libusb:002:002

# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports

# can't be detected by this program.

[karl@localhost karl]#

IIRC, this printer does not need sane to scan, nor does sane (at least directly) support it. It uses HPOJ, a driver supplied by HP to run the scanner.

If anyone can provide some guidance, it would be appreciated.

Open the mandrake control center, hardware, scanner and let Mandrake set it up for you :)

When MCC sets up the printer, it specifically says there is no need to run scannerdrake, as a matter of fact cautions against it.

I got the scanner running, can use either Xsane, or "acquire image" from The Gimp2. There is a very readable help file: /usr/share/doc/hpoj-0.91/index.html. After reading this it was as simple as typing ptal-init setup as root. I *knew* it was something really simple!