iBook and Linux in perfect harmony...

SoulSe

Alrighty - I have an iBook with OSX and my Linux box. They both have home directories for me containing all my cool shit :cheesy:

So what I want to do is keep them synced - but not the entire directory, just a select few (Documents, Music, etc.).

The way I see it I have two options:

A - Setup a NFS share on my Linux box and do a complex Applescript that I can execute.

B - Create shares on the iBook and use rsync on the Linux side to do the dirty.

Option B seems best to me, but I'm not sure how to sync only a few directories, unless I write a script that runs a bunch of rsync commands.

Waddaya reckon? :juggle:

• 2 weeks later...

That's too bad. I used to use unison to sync my Zaurus to my desktop. I didn't like using the pim that was built in, and kdepim for the Z had no sync option, so I would unison the files back and forth. it was realy great. Maybe there is a way you culd get compatible versions running?

What kind of errors did you encounter? If you could run unison, you'd realy like it. I don't know if it's still there (and can't check since I'm on my wife's laptop at the moment) but unison used to be available as an RPM in the Contrib. If it's still there, I'd bet there's a version for those evil apple thingie's lol.

That's too bad.  I used to use unison to sync my Zaurus to my desktop.  I didn't like using the pim that was built in, and kdepim for the Z had no sync option, so I would unison the files back and forth.  it was realy great.  Maybe there is a way you culd get compatible versions running? 

What kind of errors did you encounter?  If you could run unison, you'd realy like it.  I don't know if it's still there (and can't check since I'm on my wife's laptop at the moment) but unison used to be available as an RPM in the Contrib.  If it's still there, I'd bet there's a version for those evil apple thingie's  lol.

I'll try unison again. There is a port for OSX, the problem was that you need the same version running on all the boxes you want to sync. It's in the Gentoo Portage tree, but at a different version. So all I really need to do is manually download and compile it with Gentoo. I'll give that a go when I have time.

It also seemed a bit buggy, which is part of why I let it go... but I'll definately try again...