The magical, mutating xorg.conf?

MrMorden

Hey, everyone:

I found today that my hardware-accelerated video was suddently broken, and upon examining xorg.conf, also found that something had changed the driver from nvidia back to nv. Changing the driver back to nvidia fixed the problem. Has anyone else observed this behavior in Mandrake 10.1 official?

Try disabling harddrake. Harddrake has a habit of rewriting configuration files. Besides, you don't need it running anyway if you don't change your hardware.

To disable harddrake, go to Mandrake Control Center. Then choose System -> Services. Uncheck the box at the Hardrake section and press the stop button. Reboot, and see if the symptom still happens.

Try disabling harddrake. Harddrake has a habit of rewriting configuration files. Besides, you don't need it running anyway if you don't change your hardware.

To disable harddrake, go to Mandrake Control Center. Then choose System -> Services. Uncheck the box at the Hardrake section and press the stop button. Reboot, and see if the symptom still happens.

Thanks, I disabled harddrake. I'll consider this issue resolved until/unless it happens again. :D

Yes, harddrake now tests for availability of the nvidia module and automatically rewrites xorg.conf from nvidia to nv if the module isn't available. This mostly happens when you upgrade your kernel, as the nvidia module isn't available until you build it for the new kernel. Did you upgrade your kernel recently?

You need to make sure the module nvidia gets loaded, in some cases it was necessary to put

nvidia

in the file

/etc/modprobe.preload

If xorg tries to start but fails due to the nvidia driver not getting loaded, it will change the config to nv and try again. This way, at least you have graphics - it's a feature.

This is not done by harddrake btw. Please don't blame the wrong tool.

:D

If xorg tries to start but fails due to the nvidia driver not getting loaded, it will change the config to nv and try again. This way, at least you have graphics - it's a feature.

"It's not a bug - it's a feature." Where have we heard that before? :P In all honesty, though, I do see your point. I'll add nvidia to modprobe.preload, thanks again.