I'm Lost! [solved]

Guest Sgtnukem

Guest Sgtnukem

Hello Everyone. Finally made the plunge into Linux. Install Mandrake 10.1, all seemed to go well so far so step one is out of the way.

I downloaded and installed Firefox(I think). The installation seemed to go ok but now i have no idea how to start firefox at all. I found the location where it installed but nothing in there even remotely looks like it will start the program. Also, how do you go about adding that to the application menu or the desktop? Sorry if these are not good questions, but i'm lost and need some tips. Thanks,

Sarge

For a newbie, installing from RPMs is the way to go rather than the bleeding-edge pkgs from the website. Use the EasyUrpmi link in the upper right to configure your sources...you need contrib and plf, too. Then you can use the Software Manager to install just about everything your little heart desires. RPMs do great things like automatically create menu items and things. Anyway....wherever you installed it, the executable is more than likely called mozilla-firefox ... no extension. HTH

Any further clarification, just ask.

To add it to your menu, if you are using KDE, there is kmenuedit, which I believe is somewhere in KDE Control Center if you prefer launching it from GUI. To create a launcher on the desktop in KDE, just right-click the desktop and add the launcher and point the executable path to the full path where you installed firefox.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Guest Sgtnukem

Thank you Steve. I understand why working with RPM's is easier, couldn't find a package like that for Firefox though. Did manage to get it installed properly, and did what you said and added it to the menu as well. Hopefully all will go this well in the future. Thanks again,

Sarge

so sgt. when i did the firefox install from rpm, i had already done the easyurpmi. then i typed

urpmi mozilla-firefox

unfortunately it was an older version. i just always go to mozilla.org and get the tar.gz file. this keeps me up to date. once i've made the pointers in /usr/local/bin all i have to do is get the tar.gz file and if i unpackage and install firefox to the same folder (/usr/local/firefox for me) i never have to change the pointer or menu items that i've created.

There are other rpm repositories that are not listed in easy-urpmi site. Some of them carries more recent packages like kde 3.4, firefox 1.0.1, thunderbird 1.0 and so on. Here are some examples

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/

http://norlug.org/?op=rpms

Just follow the intructions given in those web pages to put the repositories into your urpmi database. Firefox 1.0.1 just happen to be listed in norlug's repository.

Anyway, even though I have no problems so far in using these packages, they should be considered quite experimental. :)

Good luck

I cannot stress enough how 'experimental' KDE 3.4 and its dependencies are. After installing KDE 3.4 and its dependencies, several other people I know and I are having serious problems booting, shutting down and logging in to X through the DM.

Firefox won't be as bad, but always be careful about adding repositories that hold experimental pkgs.