synthesis.hdlist1.cz [solved]

Guest CDBob2000

Guest CDBob2000

Hi! all!

Is thare any programs that will let you edit the file locations files...

I want to add some stuff but came to a halt cause I saw the files that show locations of stuff..

If you can do them by hand what are the rules.......

The files have names like

synthesis.hdlist1.cz

hdlists

provides

I was thinking if I can pull the updates from a server somewhere I could up date the DVD then I would be ready to play ...

I have put togehter a updated windows XP CD and was wondering if it is possible wiith mandrake Linux 10.1

I'm a newbie at linux so don't hit me to hard with Flame...

Thanks Mac!

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Completely possible

Let me see if I understand what you're trying to do:

Download the updates from one of the mirrors, create your own hdlists (IE: so they could be used from your dvd) then burn them to cd or dvd to distribute around.

Am I right?

If so, piece of cake, really.

Download the mirror contents to a specific folder (example I will use: /home/user/updates)

After they are all downloaded, open a terminal (kterm, eterm, gnome-terminal, etc.), su to root (type: su <enter> <enter your root password> <enter> ) and type: genhdlist /home/user/updates (replacing with your folder location).

That will go through and produce both the hdlist.cz and the synthesis.hdlist.cz for your folder full of rpms. Doesn't have to be the contents of a mirror, could be any mandrake rpm that you want to use. After you're done, you can burn the folder to a cd or dvd. The syntax to add the cd as a media source would be:

urpmi.addmedia medianame file:///mnt/cdrom/updates with hdlist.cz

Guest CDBob2000

LOL I finally had some thing work in Linux

I didn't have to make the files after all cause after I looked on the server the file lists are there alreday........

Why reinvent the wheel... Use what is there already....

I used windows XP and nero to make the DVD cause I'm used to using that platform after I downloaded all the files from the server... Lucky I'm on cable modem...

any way I setup the folders the same as what is on the server then I changed the place it looks for updates in the updater to the DVD

I used this file:///mnt/cdrom2/10.1/main_updates and had the

it look at the media_info/syntheses.hdlst.cz file

work like a champ I have all the updates on the DVD till they add some more......

LOL that was easier then doing windows updates,,,,,,,,,