Firefox "Default Browser" problem

tranceybowler

Hi,

Ever since I've downloaded Firefox, every time I run the program it asks me if I would like to make it the default browser. Every time I click yes but the next time Firefox starts it says the same thing. Anyone know how I can make Firefox the default browser? I'm having the same problem with Thunderbird. I'm using Mandrake Community 10.1 with KDE.

Thanks!

If you use the file associations in KDE (Configure Desktop -> Components -> File associations) and associate all the file types in the applications and text sections with Firefox that could be relevant e.g. html, shtml, asp, php etc. If you have it installed then its worth changing the defaults for GNOME as this can affect how some programs run in KDE (such as evolution) - log into GNOME..System->Configuration->GNOME->advanced->preferred applications (or something similar). If Firefox doesn't appear as a default then add a custom entry such as /home/<blah blah etc zzz>/firefox/firefox %s - not sure but I presume the '%s' but at the end tells it to search out that particular link - if you don't include it, it'll just open up your home page.

For me that makes firefox 'default' for everything that I click that needs it. Hope that helps :)

edit: oops - just realised I misunderstood the question - never had firefox or thunderbird ask if they want to be the default browser / mail (..and I am using Mandrake 10.1 & KDE) Are you using the binaries off http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ ?

Edited by foot

tbird 1 has the option in edit/preferences/general I leave both mail and news unchecked.

If ff1 has it in the preferences, I don't know whaere it is.

I did not see it in about:config

I would suggest you go to mozmagazine and do a few searches, and then just ask.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.ph...4154a1540796bcd

If you post, be clear you are using Linux. Lots of folks on there, are.

Hope that helps.

Kristi