Newbie Frustration looking for Midnight Commander

Angelina

Well, apparently, the cgi chat server is down. If your internet connection works in linux, it would be great if we could get you hooked up with a console-based irc client like irssi and we could chat in irc while you are actually in linux. If you're up for trying that (and internet works in linux) I can give you a link to download irssi and instructions on how to get into the channel.

Ok, I did as you suggested- and received the following :

Some package requested cannot be installed:

kernel-source-2.6.8.1-12....

(due to unsatisfied glibc-devel)

Continue? (Y/n)

Steve, I'm not even sure my internet is even configured in linux cuz I've never gotten farther than the initial screen, and the shell.

Angelina

:drum::banana::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Thanks to all of you who helped me get linux up and running all day today! I am so excited! Special thanks to Ohms, Vampyregeek, Chrisz, illogical_al, ummm, jeepers, and everyone else who kept me from losing my mind, and their patience, etc !!!!!!!!! I can't wait to learn this!

:g-balloon:  :b-balloon:  :r-balloon::dance:  :r-balloon:  :b-balloon:  :g-balloon:

Don't leave the rest of us in suspense  - what happened?  :unsure:

Don't really know, actually. illogic-al helped, mostly. But after several install attempts with the inability to get X set up it finally worked. I think at one point, from this topic, she had a syntax error in her xorg.conf and then on the next one or two install attempts did not actually format /, so the syntax error was still there.

Don't really know, actually. illogic-al helped, mostly. But after several install attempts with the inability to get X set up it finally worked. I think at one point, from this topic, she had a syntax error in her xorg.conf and then on the next one or two install attempts did not actually format /, so the syntax error was still there.

Actually, I think it was cuz illogic_al let us know (which nVIDIA did NOT) that the particular vid card I have on my system was known by another name, RIVA TNT2. The most frustrating part of the whole thing was that mandrake had preselected the RIVA TNT2 option in setup anyway. We were trying to fight what should have been easy, cuz it was all smooth sailing from there. So, thanks again to all, for your help! And now, there's SOOOO much to learn!