Newbie Frustration looking for Midnight Commander

Angelina

Hi everyone-

I've recently downloaded mandrake 10.1 and installed it as a dual boot system on my compaq presario with a nVIDIA vanta graphics card and compaq mv520 monitor. I've tried running urpmi but failing to get the midnight commander to work. I've downloaded and the kernel-source files recommended as well as the patch. Can you tell me (totally completely new at this) how to get the mc file? Explain carefully, since I'm very precise about following directives, and can't wait to join the LINUX community!

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Angelina

I am interpreting that you haven't been able to install Midnight Commander (mc).

This is on a Power Pack download:

# urpmq --sources mc
file://mnt/hd//media/main4/mc-4.6.0-13mdk.i586.rpm

I'm not sure the download edition includes mc. Can you check your sources with that command? If it is there, as root, urpmi mc ought to install it and it can be opened as any user with mc

If it is not in your sources, you could get it on the mirrors containing 10.1 official under: pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/main/ Or, you might want to add a 10.1 main urpmi source by following the directions at Easy Urpmi.

Or, I might not have interpreted correctly :P

mc is on the download edition of 10.1, not sure which disk. There is no need to load kernel source for mc (but needed for nvidia drivers).

I've only got disk one- ( i think.) I selected install disk one, and do two three and four at a later time. How do I get MC out of it? I have the stuff for nVIDIA and can nav to it in the windows partition.

Hi again

I wanted to make mention that I've had no graphical interface yet, just a command line.  I have the driver but can't get the kernel. I've been troubleshooting using this source of information:

http://ariejan.net/content/view/85/32

Thanks again for your help thus far.

Angelina

In order to give you the comprehensive instructions you request, comprehensive information from you is needed. That you have no gui is a biggie. I'll suggest a few things and ask a few questions to try to get headed in the direction of a solution.

The configuration programs require root privileges, so log in to the text mode as root, when you boot Mandrake.

You could try to build the nvidia commercial driver, at this point, or you could try to get a driver installed that will give you a gui, which should make things a lot easier, so I will start with that.

I don't know whether only having CD1 will limit your choices but to try to get a basic gui working, logged as root, start the Mandrake X configuration gui with:

XFdrake

In this wizard in text mode, navigate between buttons with Tab, move through lists with the arrow keys, press Enter to push a button.

With the graphics card item selected, use Tab to get the focus to 'Do' and press enter. Navigate the list to nv and press Enter. This is the XOrg open source nvidia driver and should work for your card. Make some reasonable settings acording to your monitor specs in the other parts of the wizard and test your choices to see if they will work. Don't make choices that exceed your monitor's capabilities as it could be damaged, although it seems the program is able to back out of most overamped configuraions with a failure to start the X server. If nv doesn't work, choose vesa for the driver. It is a lower-performance generic driver that should work in most any case. If this strategy works, it ought to be easier to get things installed and work in the gui to configure your computer.

When, in linux, you type

uname -r

What is the version of the kernel you are running, as shown by the output to this command?

What is the exact name of the kernel-source rpm you have downloaded? It is important that the versions match.

I've downloaded and the kernel-source files recommended as well as the patch.

What patch?

The instructions you link to seem clear enough, although I am running the nVidia commercial driver built without changing it on 10.1, so you might want to try by downloading, printing, and following the instructions from the nVidia site, without editing the source files, at first.

You should be able to install the kernel-source rpm (I have not tried installing an rpm stored on a windows partition but I guess it would work) from text mode, if you want to go that way.

As root, when you navigate to where the rpm is. It should be this: kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm and uname -r should tell you kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk If they don't match, don't even try. If they match, do

urpmi kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm

If that works, you have the kernel sources installed for your running kernel. BTW, pressing Tab completes partially-typed commands or file names, so you might want to save some typing with that feature.

If you got this far, navigate to where the nVidia driver is and follow the instructions to build it. If it builds, you have to edit the X server configuration file and I don't know if it will be configured well enough without running XFdrake at least once, so do that first.

Use the instructions about vi that are in your link. You might have to urpmi vi in case it is not installed. Open the config file in vi with:

vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

There will be a section that looks similar to this:

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
   #Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"
EndSection

The # sign precedes a 'comment' in this type of file, meaning it is there for documentation and is not used by the program. If the Load "glx" # 3D layer line is commented, remove the comment. In the next section,

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "DPMS"
   Option "nvagp" "0"
EndSection

edit the Driver statement to be "nvidia". The Option "nvagp" "0" solves problems for some buggy cards. You can leave that out for the first try. Exit insert mode and save as is explained in the instructions you link.

Open another config file with vi /etc/modprobe.preload At the bottom, add nvidia on a line by itself. Save the file. Edit: I missed a step here. After the module is built, it isn't loaded. Your config file edits will get it loaded automatically at boot time but, before you init 5 this first time, you have to load the module with modprobe nvidia Also, you might have a video driver already loaded from a previous X configuration, so check if you do and remove that before loading the nvidia module. To see what drivers are loaded, do lsmod|less The output is too long for the screen, so the pager, less, is piped to the command with the | symbol. Use the arrow keys to view the output and type q to quit. If you see the vesa or nv driver, remove it with modprobe -r nv for example. Your monitor and mouse should already be configured by running XFdrake, so start the gui with init 5

It's hard to imagine your exact situation, so ask questions if this does not compute. In text mode, you can learn a lot about commands by reading the manual pages. For example, type

man urpmi

man xorg.conf

etc.

There are man pages for almost every command/program and many configuration files. Quit the man page by typing q

Edited by rolf

Angelina,

Write down what you have done and what you have trouble with. If a command or step isn't working, write down exactly what you tried and what is the result, including error messages.

Hello again-

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you with a reply and some (hopefully) clarification. We've tried several things, rolf, that you've mentioned.

I did the XFdrake, twice- with no good results. Each time I tried, I received two error messages:

Problem parsing the config and Error parsing the config.

I was never able to locate the vesa generic that you mentioned, tho I typed in the specific parameters for my monitor as per the compaq website.

Also, I tried (from root) entering urpmi kernel-source-2.6.8.1-12mdk.rpm, and received the following error messages:unable to access rpm file [kernel-source-2.6.8.1-12mdk.rpm], and error registering local packages.

(when I entered uname -r I received the

2.6.8.1-12mdk as per your instructions.)

I have editted the NVIDIA, with no problem, and when I try to install the kernel-source, it says I need dependent packages. I can't seem to access the rpms on my cd. When I entered rpm -ivh, the following packages came up as necessary:

glibc-devel, ncurses-devel, and gcc

I would be so delighted to get linux up and running,and away from windows. Any help you could offer would be so appreciated. Thank you so very much in advance!

Angelina

Angelina, I'll just try to deal with the problem installing the kernel-source rpm. Are you in the directory where that rpm is located when you give the urpmi command? In other words, when you list the directory contents, by typing ls and Return, do you see kernel-source-2.6.8.1-12mdk.rpm?

If not, you have to use the 'change directory' command, cd, to get to that directory, first. If you are in that directory, check that the downloaded file is ok with rpm -K kernel-source-2.6.8.1-12mdk.rpm To avoid typos, you can just type the first part of the file name and press Tab to auto-complete the command.

If the rpm checks out ok, let's see what are your configured urpmi sources with urpmq --list-media

HTH

Hi Rolf,

I have been searching and am unable to find the directory where the kernel-source rpm is located on the hard drive.What is the best way to access those files, from the linux partition, or from the cd? Sorry for sounding so completely ignorant here, and I appreciate all your help!

Thanks,

Angelina

The kernel-source RPM is on Disk 1. Try just doing

urpmi kernel-source-2.6

The other error you get about "Error parsing config file" is because there is something wrong with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Probably there is a syntax error in it from hand-editing it. It should give you a hint as to what is wrong in the error, including maybe a line number.

I have been searchin[/b]g and am unable to find the directory where the kernel-source rpm is located on the hard drive.What is the best way to access those files, from the linux partition, or from the cd?  Sorry for sounding so completely ignorant here, and I appreciate all your help!

In Mandrake, the windows install is usually mounted at /mnt/win_c. You could ls /mnt to see if there is something like that there and cd to it. You will have to cd along the path to where the rpm is located in windows. For example, on my machine, with XP installed:

cd /mnt/win_c/Documents\ and\ Settings/rolf/Desktop

gets me to the desktop.

What Steve says to do, urpmi kernel-source-2.6, ought to work, if urpmi sources have been set up for you by install, as they should be.

If not, you can put the cd in your reader and install from there. You need to know what the mount point of your reader is. Check that with

grep cdrom /etc/fstab

Look for something like /mnt/cdrom and that is the mount point. I've got that kernel-source rpm on CD2, BTW, under media/main2/kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm

So, the path would be: /mnt/cdrom/media/main2/kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm

and

rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/media/main2/kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm

or

urpmi /mnt/cdrom/media/main2/kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm

using the mount point of your reader should do the install. You can use tab completion to make it easier to navigate. That is type part of the command, for instance:

ls /mnt/cdrom/ and press Tab to see what the options are. Type a little more of the path and press Tab again to complete more of the command, until you get what you want, then press Return to execute the command.

If the CD can't be viewed with the ls command, it might be you need to mount the cdrom first. Do this, as root, with mount /mnt/cdrom or whatever the mount point of your reader is.

Hi there-

Steve and Rolf- I tried the urpmi kernel-source-2.6 as suggested by Steve. No luck- error message telling me the file does not exist.

I can cd to where the rpm file is in by cd/mnt/win_c/windows/Profiles/Angela/desktop. Also, is it pertinent that I am running windows ME?

However, this whole mount point is rather confusing to me. At what point would I check the "grep cdrom /etc/fstab" ? Sorry to sound so dense, but this is all really new to me, and I so appreciate the help you're sending!

Angelina

Edited by Angelina

Try this:

cd /mnt/win_c/windows/Profiles/Angela/desktop

urpmi kernel-source-2.6<<hit the tab button to finish filling in the name and then hit enter>>

It sounds like your urpmi sources are not pointing to your one CD or the CD is missing some files. Did you download that file to your desktop in windows or something? Anyway, the above should work.

The 'grep cdrom /etc/fstab' was so that you could see what the mountpoint is for your cdrom, but since, apparently you have the file you need downloaded to your windows desktop it is not that important at the moment.

P.S. If you want, you can click the chat link up there (upper right) and I can help you one on one in IRC. I'm "Ohms" in there.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire