sshd how ???

mikaowx

Hi all!

I used sshd to reach and configure my home machines about 4 years back. Now I would need to have this simple but efficient way to manage things but after starting the ssh demon to test it without making changes to ssh_config and firewall shut down it denies my request.

I am not a linux geek and only want a simple password authentication.

Has something changed over the years I havent used it?

Isnt sshd preconfigured to work with?

Would be pleased to have someone explaining me how to set this up or where can I find any useful information on how to set sshd up.

thanks in advance

Yeah, I saw there hasnt been any key generation going on at start, -like back in the good ol' days- so I thought there might be a difference.

You're saying all I have to do is create DSA keys and copy them to the appropriate locations?

What about sshd_config?

I even recognized loads of options are commented out.

Do I have to configure them if I only want password authentication?

MCC has normal security settings, so I would say the problem might be related to key generation or sshd_config since I havent yet run/configured it.

Whats your security setting in mcc? If it's too high you can't run some services.

If you don't think thats the problem try

/etc/init.d/sshd start

as root from the command line, and let us know of any errors.

Need some more info from you.

Do you have the ssh client and server installed? test with:

rpm -qa | grep ssh

Is sshd up and running? test with:

service sshd status

OR

/etc/init.d/sshd status

Hi all!

Problem solved!

Didnt remember that I set security level higher than normal.

Now it all works fine!

Cheers! :banana:

Am I to understand that key generation must be used only when setting up login based on secure id so that one can log in remotely without typing a password? Otherwise sshd does it automatically?

Would there be a solution, -I think its called chroot environment- if I wanted to give my users access to my machines?

How's that possible?

Anyone has any idea/info/links on this?

Thanks!

Would there be a solution, -I think its called chroot environment- if I wanted to give my users access to my machines?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, do you just want to allow some users to log into your machine via ssh? If so all you need to do is create them a normal account/password.

I mean is there an easy solution for restricting normal users moves in the filesystem?

Would be ridiculous to have them log in through ssh while letting them see the whole file system even if they cant do a thing with their permissions.

That would somehow defeat the purpose of having ssh, dont you think?

My goal in this case would be to place them in an environment where they cant even see other than what's provided in their home directories like proftpd can be configured to do so.

Root could still log in, -if permitted in sshd_config- allowing him to do things to the whole OS due to his "omnipotent" permissions in the system?

I've just read articles on this but they dont seem easily applicable.

One says chroot jail is a perfect idea another says not not; chroot patch is your friend.

What do you guys think?

Edited by mikaowx