Cannot see computers on my network - please help

Guest NowhereMan

Guest NowhereMan

hello,

I am a complete beginner to linux and just installed mandrake 10.1 official 2 days ago. my only problem is with my home network. I have 3 computers on the network, my linux box directly connected to the router (D-Link DI-524) and 2 windows 2000 professional boxes connected through wireless. I can ping the win2k boxes but I cannot connect to them in either LinNeighborhood or smb4k. I have samba, smbclient, and lisa installed. I'm running kde3.2 if that matters. I can connect to the internet without problem so i know that linux is talking to the dhcp server on the router. The win2k boxes cannot see the linux box either. Before when all three boxes were win2k there was no problem browsing the network.

When i check the log in LinNeighborhood it says that

GetSMBGroups:nmblookup -M -S -d1 -- WORKGROUP

querying WORKGROUP on 192.168.1.255

name_query failed to find name WORKGROUP#d1

since my router is 192.168.1.1 I don't know where it is getting the 192.168.1.255 from or if that matters at all.

I have been able to find answers to all my questions here except this one. thank you for any help you can give me,

- I think, 192.168.1.255 is the broadcast address of your network.

- You cant see your linux from your win2k box until you install samba server in the linux box

- If you have already a samba-server installed, try to assign some users that could access your samba from win2k...as a root#smbpasswd -a user

.. the users is an existing user of your linux, you can assign a password that differ from the password you used in your linux box....then check your samba config file...

reference: www.samba.org

- try to use your konqueror if your using kde to browse the network..

smb://192.168.1.2 . this assumes that it is an ip of you win2k box

- also you can check your logs during accesing the network, type as root

#tail -f /var/log/messages

hope it answers some of your ??,

Guest NowhereMan

hi,

thank you for your help. i found out it was shorewall that was blocking me from my network. No matter what i did i could not stop it from calling dropSMB and rejectSMB. i tried commenting out the drop and reject files and adding the proper allow entries to rules but it still did not work. so i just turned shorewall off and downloaded firestarter for a firewall

now it works well enough. i still cannot access my linux shares from win2k but i think that is a permissions problem.