Can't get my USB pen to work..

cm0901

So, after the automount, here is another issue :)

I can't get my usb pen working with Mandrake 10.1 official. here is /var/log/messages:

Mar  1 20:35:28 Claudio kernel: usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using address 53
Mar  1 20:35:33 Claudio kernel: usb 4-3: control timeout on ep0out
Mar  1 20:35:38 Claudio kernel: usb 4-3: control timeout on ep0out
Mar  1 20:35:38 Claudio kernel: usb 4-3: device not accepting address 53, error -110

when the pc if fresh-booted, and i insert the pen in usb, it starts with address 1. then, going on and on, it auto-increment its address, but never finding its solution. any clue, please? :unsure:

try the old standby - turn off APIC (and maybe ACPI). you can do this in the control centre, find the app which controls the boot process. If that doesn't work, try the low-tech solution - plug it in a different USB socket, preferably one elsewhere on the machine (i.e. if you tried one of the ports on the front, try one on the back). This probably sounds a bit odd, but actually, different ports on machines are often handled by different USB controllers, and if one doesn't work you might have luck with another.

no, that won't help, the problem is lower-level. cm, sorry about the monitor, messing with those options can have unpredictable results :). hope you managed to get it back on, if not, let me know and I can help. if you change any APIC or ACPI options and they don't fix the problem you were trying to solve, it's definitely best to change them back to how they were before. this might be a tricky one :\. try a newer kernel?

oh, right, I see :). Yeah, that'd make sense, APM and ACPI report battery power in different ways and some applets will support one and not the other. For a newer kernel, I wouldn't bother building one from scratch, just grab a Cooker kernel. Usually running Cooker packages on stable MDK is BAD BAD BAD, but oddly, doing it with the kernel is pretty safe - it's much less likely to cause problems than some shared library in any case, and if it does, you still have your old kernel around in any case, so you can just boot right back to that. So I'd suggest going to a Cooker mirror, grabbing kernel-2.6.10-3mdk and the corresponding kernel-source, and installing those. Or try kernel-multimedia from contrib, but be aware that 19mdk and 20mdk of kernel-multimedia seem broken to me, 18mdk was fine and 21mdk is apparently also good but hasn't made it to the mirrors yet.

Did you update your mdk10.1 with the KDE updates?

Follow the white rabbit,.. ehm, the easy-urpmi link at the top of each page here, and set up your update repository, and update your kde stuff.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I know that stock 10.1 OE with KDE has loads of issues with usb removable storage...