Acrobar Reader 7 for linux

iphitus

Well theres a new version of Acrobat Reader available. Its only a beta, and I think it might have been leaked, im not sure, I just stumbled over the torrent the other day. It's been GTK2'ified, and supports just about everything the windows one does. Also means its not ugly anymore.

Grab the torrent here:

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/downloads/...croread.torrent

I will upload the tarbz2 in due time, its 30mb and the connection to dolson's server, australia to canada is slow as dialup, so maybe on the weekend.

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

Why not just use kpdf, gpdf or (in 10.2) evince? Maybe keep Reader around for stupidly complicated pdfs they won't render, but for everything else I find 'em a lot nicer than Reader. evince especially, it's sweeeeet.

gpdf crashes for me, and I like the way the adobe one works. I used to use the old ugly adobe one, because it just had a better feeling to it than the open source ones.

also (another reason to use acroread instead of kpdf/gpdf), i've come across quite a few pdf's that the open source ones could not render properly, only acroread could. i don't know about evince, i just installed it a few minutes ago (before reading this thread) and haven't played with it...

also (another reason to use acroread instead of kpdf/gpdf), i've come across quite a few pdf's that the open source ones could not render properly, only acroread could.  i don't know about evince, i just installed it a few minutes ago (before reading this thread) and haven't played with it...

PDF is also an expanding format. Its actually open but adobe get there first so lots of goodies like scanned text as a tiff and OCR'd text as text over the top is possible and you can turn one or the other off. (just one example)

Also since Adobe had released a linux version and the spec itself is open its good to encourage this...

Plus it just works better.... it just looked really crap!