lost my hdb

derxen

I really appreciate your help. Also, I'm learning a lot about devices in Linux. Question: why this set-up with the sym-links, why not just one /dev/file to mount the cdrom on?

Because of the new devfs system, and the new nomenclature; so now the ide devices are named that way (/dev/ide/.../). They are no more named /dev/hda#; But to allow backward compatibility you can link "new named" devices to links named the "old way" (this can be done by hand[1] or through devfsd(8) )

Sorry for that explanation, HTH.

[1] by hand means that you'll need to do it on every reboot because the devfs is a virtual filesystem

Are you sure that mounting with the new name doesn't work? As an example here is my entry on fstab (notice that is a cdrw, not a plain cdrom):

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd /mnt/cdrw  iso9660 nosuid,exec,user,ro,noauto 0 0

Thanks for the explanation aru, it makes sense to me now. My fstab has an entry for hdb, but not for the new /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd file. When I tried to mount that, I was told it's not a valid block device. But, as i mentioned before, the lun0 folder is empty, it does not contain a file.

So should I make an empty file it in named cd (with the touch command)? And then a symlink from /dev/hdb to that file? And would it then be a valid block device? I'm starting to see the light, but still mostly guessing.

derxen

No, I don't think so :( the kernel must do that for you while booting.

Since you followed all the above advices w/o any succeed, I don't know what else you should do... besides of searching in the dev/ide tree for the cd entry.

Check you bios settings, check the output of "dmesg", and check the /proc/ide tree to find out where the hell your cdrom device is located (because it was a plain CDrom not a CDRW, right?)

Well, the problem has been 'solved', but in the worst possible way. After I had tried to mount mdk cd1, as had been advised to check whether the hardware was functional, the next time I started up the machine it crashed again, the same way it had before, but worse. This time X wouldn't start at all. The logs were totally unhelpful, at least I couldn't see what had happened, and I had no idea how to solve this, so I did a reinstall.... :oops: So now I'm busy redoing all my tweaks, but at least the cdrom mounts.

I guess we'll never know how this all happened, but I thank you all for the help you gave. As I said, at least I learnt a lot about devices and mounting. Thanks again, I really appreciated it.

derxen