help with wireless driver

Guest 89redgt

Guest 89redgt

Ok i am a first time linux user i recently installed mandrake 10.0. It does not have drivers for my wireless card chip set is broadcom bcm4306. I tryed installing ndiswrapper that comes with linux and couldnt figure out how to make it work. I noticed the version was .4 so i downloaded the newest version 1.0 but I get errors trying to install it. Also it seems as though my kernel is not up to date enough for version 1.0. My kernel version is 2.6.3-7. I am very much a newbi and need lots of help. I spent all day trying to figure this out and researching im at a deadend now.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Ok i am a first time linux user i recently installed mandrake 10.0.  It does not have drivers for my wireless card chip set is broadcom bcm4306.  I tryed installing ndiswrapper that comes with linux and couldnt figure out how to make it work.  I noticed the version was .4 so i downloaded the newest version 1.0 but I get errors trying to install it.  Also it seems as though my kernel is not up to date enough for version 1.0.  My kernel version is 2.6.3-7.  I am very much a newbi and need lots of help.  I spent all day trying to figure this out and researching im at a deadend now. 

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Do all your regular updates. Then proceed to update your kernel

As root, type this:

# urpmi --update kernel

Then install the kernel-source

# urpmi kernel-source

Then install ndiswrapper and follow the instructions on the Readme to make it work.

In short, you will have to modprobe the new installed driver and then configure the card.

# modprobe nameofdriver

Go to MDK's Control Center and configure your card.

You could also buy a supported card and avoid all the above hassle. Linspire's website has a decent list of supported wireless cards in its knowledge base. Those will work fine under MDK.

Good luck

Guest 89redgt

Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to try what you said and see if it works. If not ill just try to get a different card. I would just like this one to work becuase its built in. THANKS AGAIN!!