multiple internet connections through same device

satelliteuser083

I am using Mandrake 10.1 (on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600), which gives me good internet access. However, if I try to set up two internet connections (through System configuration tool -> Network & Internet -> New connection) using the same device (pcmcia-card) the CURRENT one is overwritten. Is there a restriction of a single connection per device, in which case I'll have to keep changing it whenever I'm away from home, or is there some clever way of getting around this problem. Help would be appreciated

Lawrence

:help:

What you're basically asking for is connection profiles, and there are a few tools to do this on Linux. MDK has a home-grown one called drakroam, which is intended for wireless cards but may well do what you need (I dunno, I haven't really looked at it). Anyway, if that's not enough, post back, or just do some Googling on network profiles linux and check urpmi for packages of any interesting apps you find.

devries,

thanks for the tip, went there and found drakxtools-10.1-26mdk.i586.rpm, hope this is the correct one. Now the tricky bit: I'm a newby and have not yet had the pleasure (??) of installing a downloaded package. How do I go about this? Presume it's easy, but wouldn't want to ruin the last week's work and have to re-install. Grateful for another tip.

8.3.2005: installed 'drakxtools-10.1-26mdk.i586.rpm' using MCC -> Software Management -> Install, which resulted in 'drakxtools_http' being started at boot (according to MCC -> System -> Services). What on Earth does this mean; would also like to know how these drakxtools are supposed to be used ? Can't find any mention of them elsewhere!

Edited by satelliteuser083