Won't recognize new SCSI drive

LuceScrew

I have searched the forums and found lots of SCSI info, but none quite like my problem so I thought I would ask the experts.

Situation:

I installed a SCSI adapter and hard drive in an already existing Mandrake 10.0 Official install. The adapter is recognized in harddrake, but no SCSI drives show up anywhere in the hardware tree (no sd or sg devices). The SCSI adapter bios recognizes the attached drive and I can insert a DOS boot disk and access the drive fine. I even performed a low format from the adapter utilities and partitioned the drive using DOS fdisk (I want this drive to be formatted in fat32 for use as a backup data drive for my networked windows machines).

I looked over the SCSI HOW-TO document, but it is a little over my head at this point and I just need to know of some utilities that might help configure the drive so it is recognized. Do I have to re-install in order for the drive to be recognized?

Just some additional info:

Dedicated Linux file server (no windows or other OS boot)

60 Gb IDE hard drive fully formated under Linux (one giant ext partition)

Adaptec AHA-2940U2W (terminated on cable, along with auto termination set on card)

WD 18.3Gb Ultra2 LVD

I also tried my old Ultra SCSI card (2940U) and hard drive and it performed the same way, adapter recognized and hard drive not. This setup was pulled from my old Red Hat box that was installed to this drive without issue. So I guess I am just confused why Mandrake 10.0 Official is not installing the drive automatically. I am willing to manually configure the drive, but will need the steps involved.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Denny

Run

dmesg

and look for scd* or sr* or sd*

Is the module for your card installed?

lsmod

I assume so if it is recognized.

Also do

lspci -v

and show us info related to your scsi card.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

First off, thanks Steve for the help. I did all the steps below and added the complete outputs to a text file attached. My comments and any obvious data pulled will be located below each quoted section.

Run

dmesg

and look for scd* or sr* or sd*

Is the module for your card installed?

No scd*, sr* or sd* modules found in the output of the dmesg command. there is statement at the end:

SCSI subsystem initialized

lsmod

I assume so if it is recognized.

Yes, here are the two modules listed:

sg 39772 0

scsi_mod 117616 1 sg

Also do

lspci -v

and show us info related to your scsi card.

Here is the info related to the scsi adapter card:

00:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W

Subsystem: Adaptec AHA-2940U2W SCSI Controller

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 3

BIST result: 00

I/O ports at c400

Memory at d6040000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]

Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

scsi_details.txt

I'm not sure, but maybe you can try to

modprobe aic79xx

And check dmesg, although that's probably not the right driver for the card. Have you looked on your driver CD for the card...actually browsed it...to see if there is a linux directory on it for drivers?

Steve, the driver that harddrake reports is aic7xxx and when I do a modprobe aic7xxx I get the following:

# modprobe aic7xxx
Segmentation fault

As far as browsing the Cds for drivers, I haven't searched specifically for other drivers. The adaptec site doesn't specifically support linux with this card, but I can't get my other ultra card to work either and I know it does work with Red Hat. Tomorrow I will have more time to look at drivers and maybe even download a live cd version of knoppix and see what drivers it uses (read on another forum that this card worked with knoppix).

Thanks again Steve, and I will report back what I find.

Denny

Well it took me most the day to get the Knoppix Iso image downloaded, but I did and it does recognize the adapter and the drive. I ran all three of the same commands as I did on my Mandrake 10.0 Official build and here are the outputs. It looks like the driver for the adapter card is the same as the one I am currently using in my config. The main thing I notice different is the scsi1 line in the dmesg, which is missing in my config. This may be my problem.

First I will post the pertinent parts, and the complete output is in the attached text file.

dmesg

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
libata version 1.02 loaded.
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
 Vendor: KENWOOD   Model: CD-ROM UCR-412    Rev: 132I
 Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
 Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 7200   Rev: 3.01
 Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0   <--ide drives emulated as scsi
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0   <--ide drives emulated as scsi
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 45x/45x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray     <--ide drives emulated as scsi
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 2x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray  <--ide drives emulated as scsi
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 00:09.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 00:07.2
scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
       <Adaptec 2940 Ultra2 SCSI adapter>
       aic7890/91: Ultra2 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
(scsi1:A:0): 80.000MB/s transfers (40.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit)
 Vendor: WDIGTL    Model: WDE18300 ULTRA2   Rev: 1.20
 Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi1:A:0:0: Tagged Queuing enabled.  Depth 253
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sda: 35586001 512-byte hdwr sectors (18220 MB)
sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 >

lsmod

aic7xxx               131928   0

lspci -v

0000:00:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W
       Subsystem: Adaptec AHA-2940U2W SCSI Controller
       Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 3
       BIST result: 00
       I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
       Memory at d6040000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
       Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
       Capabilities: <available only to root>

knoppix_scsi_details.txt

Edited by LuceScrew

I need to find the configuration files in the Knoppix build that I can use to configure my Mandrake build. I looked into the etc/modules.conf and etc/modprobe.conf files and there is no mention of the scsi adapter or scsi drive, so I want to check these files under Knoppix for comparison. But I don't want to take my server down too many times, so I would like to get an idea of all the files I should look at while Knoppix is loaded.

Any suggestions of files to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Denny

Look in /etc/modprobe.conf, /etc/modprobe.preload on knoppix if you boot the 2.6 kernel (with knoppix26 boot option). Look in /etc/modules.conf, /etc/modules if you boot the 2.4 kernel (just knoppix boot option)

Also, check out /etc/fstab for the layout of the line for your drive's entry there. Do the dmesg command, so you can make sure what device it calls it...sda, sr, sg, whatever.

Well I went through the configuration files in Knoppix with both 2.4 and 2.6.7 kernels. The 2.4 kernel identifies and configures my scsi adapter and drive fine, but the 2.6 kernel does not (just like my current mandrake build using kernel 2.6.3-7mdksecure). So it doesn't look like it is mandrake specific, but rather a problem with the 2.6 kernel and auto configure.

So now I am confused on where to go from here. Do I need to run the 2.4 kernel in order to use my scsi devices? Or is there a way to make it work? If I do go back to 2.4, what kind of features am I going to be giving up?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Denny

Guest pcssbb

According to the Mandrake HCL the Adaptec 2940 family of adapters are NOT compatible with 10.1(kernels 2.4 & 2.6). I know you said 10.0 but I would imagine that it might be the same. Anyway I got through the installation 3X and the system would fail at some point well into the boot process before I checked the HCL and found this info. I also have some QLogic UW adapters and none of them are on the HCL. I finally gave up and decided to install Mandrake on an IDE system. I will be watching this thread to see if you are successful in your efforts. Mandrake HCL Info for Adaptec 2940

[link amended by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

pcssbb, thanks for the link to the HCL. I assumed these cards were supported since they have been around for a while and work on other linux builds. If nobody responds with positive results of installing this card, then I will pull it from the system and rely on IDE drives. It is a little frustrating tho... :wall:

Guest pcssbb
pcssbb, thanks for the link to the HCL. I assumed these cards were supported since they have been around for a while and work on other linux builds.  If nobody responds with positive results of installing this card, then I will pull it from the system and rely on IDE drives.  It is a little frustrating tho...  :wall:

I was totally surprised to learn this as well. My adapter is a bit old but there was a time

when the AHA-2940 was the most ubiquitous SCSI controller to be found. When I first started using Unix on PC's you had to use SCSI disks. Obviously times have changed. I am having a bit of trouble installing it on a new 200GB IDE HDD I just received. I think the disk might be bad. It makes that tell-tale noise of a disk makes when it is on its last legs. Funny thing though, Windows 2003 installed in short order but Mandrake keeps telling me that it cannot read the MBR or that the Partition table is corrupt. I also downloaded the powermax utility from the Maxtor web site and it passed the burn-in test. I will sit back and relax a bit and give Mandrake another shot after I get over my frustration.

• 3 months later...
Guest Brainfryd

According to the Mandriva HCL, the Adaptec AHA 2940UW SCSI adapter IS compatible and Certified with 10.0 and 10.2(LE2005).

<side note> Good news for me!..I have a 2940UW from an old server and just acquired an 18 GB SCSI Seagate that's going to be home for my next re-install of LE2005... :thumbs: W00T!

Edit: sorry, meant 10.1 NOT 10.0....(bad fingers, typos bad!)

Edited by Brainfryd