The Boring State of Operating Systems Today

bvc

What's gotten boring is OSNews. Typically, they'll post some OS or IT related article, then the flame wars ensue. Or one of the editors will do an opinion piece (as Eugenia did there), and a flame war will ensue. Or finally, they'll post a review of a Linux distro, and a flame war will ensue.

Frankly, OSNews needs a make-over, in both appearance and content. The look 'n' feel of the website is bland. And the article's, and ensuing flame wars, are very boring and predictable.

All that said, they do post relavant news from other websites, so I do visit it. But I do think it needs a breath of fresh air.

I think she's an absolute fool though.

The main reason that there arent any more big oses is complexity.

An operating system now is much much much more complex than it was 10-20 years ago. Thats why we dont see any new big contenders coming out of the woodwork.

Try work out how many lines of code was in DOS, not really a lot. How much variety was there hardware wise? not a lot. How many different uses were there? Not a lot -- or at least, not as much possibilities as nowadays.

There isnt a big new OS and there may not be one for a while, because of the time it would take to write an OS from scratch to compete with one of the existing os. And then it needs to get hardware support... and applications... ... ... ... ...

As for osnews: I think the look and feel of the site, while reasonably well designed, needs a bit more colour and flash to it. At least it looks better than slashdot.

What's gotten boring is OSNews.  Typically, they'll post some OS or IT related article, then the flame wars ensue.  Or one of the editors will do an opinion piece (as Eugenia did there), and a flame war will ensue.  Or finally, they'll post a review of a Linux distro, and a flame war will ensue.

Frankly, OSNews needs a make-over, in both appearance and content.  The look 'n' feel of the website is bland.  And the article's, and ensuing flame wars, are very boring and predictable. 

All that said, they do post relavant news from other websites, so I do visit it.  But I do think it needs a breath of fresh air.

I got to osnews everyday for like the last 2 years or so and it's exactly like you say. Now that I think about it, i'm not sure why I still go...

It's got to the point of /. status on the crap that gets posted and I stopped going there many moon's ago. I need another news site. :unsure:

the answer to her question is so blindingly obvious to me!

if she wants a new brilliant operating system that is so bloody good,

why don't she write the the damn thing !!!!!

stop whinging and get coding gurl jeesh :screwy:

reb

Comparing it to Slashdot is very appropriate. Bland, ugly, with predictable articles and even more predictable endless flame wars.

I'd like to see both of these, or a new Linux/OS/IT news website, expand on the content, and emphasize discussion forums that have actual intelligent discussion from people with lives and no axe to grind.

The "discussion" on those sites usually disintigrate into "my distro rocks, your distro sucks", or "Solaris rules, Linux sucks", or "Java sucks, no C++ sucks", or "you're a moron", or "you don't know jack, my friend", or "RTFM", or some other idiotic thing.

The good news is, user forums like Mandrakeusers.org, or MepisLovers.org, or the Ubuntu forums, usually have great discussion, and offer tons to learn for the reader. :D

Edited by JeffSmdk

I find the best way to get news now is through an RSS aggregator... because thats all OSNews does. They find an article and link to it.

Go grab an aggregator, chuck newsforge, cnet, the register, a couple of blogs, and youve got all the news you'll ever need.

Thats what I do :D