Mandrake 10.1

Guest Chuck Dayton

Guest Chuck Dayton

Okay, this is making me crazy; I'm a rank newbie trying to install Mandrake 10.1 on my vintage HP N5470 laptop and it's hanging during bootup. I use the "verbous" option and it doesn't seem to be able to handle USB. Sad because I've got USB mouse, pendrive, printer, etc. and really do want to use them.

Anybody had this problem? Its a HP Pavilio N5470, 1g AMD processor, 256 megs memory, cd/dvd drives, etc. Maybe Mandrake doesn't like my motherboard?

Thanks for your help.

Chuck D.

Welcome aboard :)

during the install-phase, plug off all usb-devices and see if it works then. if not, there might be a mobo problem. if it continues to bootup, you can test the usb-devices later and in case that the auto-detect goes crazy, you can hopefully hack the config-files for your usb-devices in a way that lets you use all your usb-devices.

btw: i never had problems with usb-stuff in mandrake. :)

Edited by arctic

Guest Chuck Dayton

Arctic,

Thanks for your response.

I unplugged both the mouse and pendrive and booted into 10.1 with no problem. It even recognized and activated my touchpad as the pointer device. So, I'm guessing the motherboard is not a factor here. I get the following lines on boot with my pendrive (or more importantly, my mouse):

"Initialinzing USB Control (ohci-hcd): [ok]

Mount USB Filesystem [ok]"

Then the system just freezes up.

As my earlier post indicated, I am a rank newbie... I stopped doing command lines many years ago, so please be specific if you know of a work-around.

Thank you again,

Chuck D

I get the following lines on boot with my pendrive (or more importantly, my mouse):

"Initialinzing USB Control (ohci-hcd):      [ok]

Mount USB Filesystem                          [ok]"

Then the system just freezes up.

Have you tried to set up in text mode without mouse and Xwindows?

You can choose the text mode at the boot up screen.

J.T.

Edited by crazyspongebob

Guest Chuck Dayton

Thanks, Spongebob, but when I boot without any devices, it boots normally. with ANY USB device, it hangs up with the quoted lines being the last information. It's almost like the booter is not "seeing" the USB module.

Chuck D.

No, it *is* seeing it. If it didn't see it it wouldn't freeze, it'd just keep running but you wouldn't be able to use the device :). It's seeing it and not liking it, that's the problem. The first thing to do in the case of weird hardware problems is disable APIC. Go to the Control Centre and find the part that controls the bootup (it changes name every three weeks, I run Cooker and I know it's something different from 10.1, so I don't want to give you too specific instructions). There'll be a couple of checkboxes you can check to force 'APIC' and 'local APIC' to be turned off. Check those, finish the wizard, and reboot. See if it works any better.

Guest Chuck Dayton
No, it *is* seeing it. If it didn't see it it wouldn't freeze, it'd just keep running but you wouldn't be able to use the device :). It's seeing it and not liking it, that's the problem. The first thing to do in the case of weird hardware problems is disable APIC. Go to the Control Centre and find the part that controls the bootup (it changes name every three weeks, I run Cooker and I know it's something different from 10.1, so I don't want to give you too specific instructions). There'll be a couple of checkboxes you can check to force 'APIC' and 'local APIC' to be turned off. Check those, finish the wizard, and reboot. See if it works any better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest larson9999

This might not be your problem but it was mine. I had a mobo with an isa slot and it was using the same IRQ for the ISA and USB. After trying all those other suggestions and pulling my hair out, I found one line on the net saying to try changing the bios settings so the IRQ in question is dedicated ISA. Worked like a charm.

Guest phillip9

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with 10.1. It gets to "mounting usb file system" and then freezes.

I also a newbie and I am using the same hardware I was using when 10.0 was out and that had no problems with my hardware devices.

I want to try the suggestion with turning off the ACPI features, mentioned above, but I had read somewhere else that turning of ACPI can cause problems with a laptops power management and also could cause damage. Is this true in any way?

thank you ,

phil