Remotely choose OS to Boot

dave843

I have Mandrake 10.1 and Solaris 10 installed on 2 different hard drives, and they work just fine. I'm using Grub, and it can boot to either without any issues.

I would like to be able to remotely choose which operating system to boot to. I initially thought I could just edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and set the appropriate default. This works fine under linux, but Solaris can't write to the ext3 file system :furious3: So I can remotely boot from Linux to Solaris, but then I can't get back to Linux...

Is there a way to set a "boot this OS next time"?

Or some other way to do this?

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

I'm not sure how to do what you want, but have you thought about reformating your /boot partition (hopefully thats where grub resides) in a format that both solaris and linux can read/write?

Yes, grub is installed in /boot. But that is part of the root partition. Is it possible to create a new partition and move grub there? without re-installing?

Yes, grub is installed in /boot. But that is part of the root partition. Is it possible to create a new partition and move grub there? without re-installing?

Parted is capable of resizing partitions to create new ones, but I'd treat doing that as though its going to completely trash the HDD (back up everything you need).

I know it's not much help now, but I'm from the old school of everyone needing a seperate /boot partition :afro:

you could make one or the other install its bootloader to the partition instead of the mbr.

ie, make Solaris install it's bootloader to its partition, maybe /dev/hda7 or whatever it is.

Then make the linux bootloader installed on the MBR as per normal, and add and entry into it to chain boot the solaris one. Entry would be the exact same entry as a chain boot to a windows partition.

it works for me ;)

iphitus