Installing Mandrake Linux

Guest Razgriz

Guest Razgriz

Alas, my mind has awoken from the windows using world. I want to install Linux, after pre-liminary investigation, I choose Mandrake. How do I dual boot with Windows XP on a single hard drive. No I have not created a partition. Yes I will be screwed for life If a mess my computer up.

There probably is an installation guide somewhere on this site, but i'm lazy :P , anyone want to give me a link or walk me through it?

Thanks in advance - Raz

First thing to do is to turn of the Windows XP paging file or you will have a hard time resizing it down to make room for Linux. Windows XP tends to put it near the end of the drive. Right click My Computer...select Properties. Click the Advanced Tab...click Settings on Performance...Click the Advanced button. Select 'No Paging File'. Reboot into Windows to make sure it gets erased. Double check it. Reboot into Safe Mode by hitting F8 at Boot. Run Scandisk Run Defrag. Boot with the Mandrake CD/DVD in the drive. When you get to the partitioning scheme, try doing Custom partitioning. Click the Windows partition and select Resize....resize it down about 10 GB (or more if you have a big enough HD....up to you).

Click on the now-empty partition and select Create. Create a partition that is 4GB approximately. Tell it the type is Ext3 (that's the one I like....Ext2 or ReiserFS are other good choices). Tell it the mount point is /. Click OK

Click the empty (white partition) again. Select Create. Tell it swap for the type. Make it approximately 2-1/2X your RAM unless you have 512 or more....then I'd stick with about 600MB. Click Ok.

Click the empty partition again. Select Create. Resize it to take up the rest of the space. Tell it the mount point is /home. The type is, once again, up to you, but I prefer ext3. Click Ok. Click Done. It will tell you it is about to write the partition table to disk. Tell iit 'Sure, go ahead.'

The rest of the install really has to be up to you. Read the 'Help' or 'Info'.