Mandrake 10.1 won't install [solved]

omcaree

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to linux, but i've been through the installation of mandrake 10.1 before and it all went fine, used it for a few months (dual booting with windows) and then updated my computer. After updating my hardware (new mobo and cpu, nothing else changed) I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. that was a week ago, today i shrank my windows partition by 40Gb and proceeded to attempt to reinstall mandrake (this is the exact same proceedure i'd followed previously). Reboot with CD1 inserted, the installer starts no problem, but apon pressing enter to start the installation the screen goes black and nothing happens, i've tried using F1 with various options, with the text only install it freezes on something to do with IRQ's, but i really dont know what i'm doing.

My new hardware is an Asus A8V mobo with an AMD Athlon64 3500+, none of my other hardware has changed and all previously worked with my old set up (Asus P4B and P4 2.5GHz).

Any suggestions/solutions would be much appreciated, as i said i am a newbie so please try not to confuse me straight away :P

Cheers,

Owen

Have done, i'm using the same Cd's as i used to install previously (before upgrade) and there is nothing wrong with them. (other than the fact they dont work anymore :P )

This sounds like a hardware problem. Unplug all you usb devices. Also, the arrangement of cards in pci slots can have odd unpredictable effects. So, re-arrange your pci cards.

Make sure you have plug and play off in the bios. Make sure that the bios is recognizing all your hardware. If teh irq issue is not related to usb, then do not allow the board to configure irq's. Assign them yourself in the bios.

Wow, I never thought it'd be that simple.

Unplugged USB devices, no luck

Unplugged PCI cards (dont have any that are essential), no luck

Messed with bios, and it worked!

narrowed it down to USB2.0, disabled that and it worked (so it was USB related)

cheers for the info, turned out to be a pretty easy solution but i'd never have got there without prompting :lol:

Now I can get back to using a proper OS, none of that windows rubbish B)

Cheers all

Owen

:thanks:

And just to top it all off, after installing mandrake i can switch USB2 support back on and it works fine.

Thanks once again, I'm glad i've discovered these forums, i'm sure i'll need plenty more help with mandrake in the future and now i know whre to come :D

Cheers

Owen

• 2 weeks later...
And just to top it all off, after installing mandrake i can switch USB2 support back on and it works fine.

Thanks once again, I'm glad i've discovered these forums, i'm sure i'll need plenty more help with mandrake in the future and now i know whre to come  :D

Cheers

Owen

Make sure to do your updates after installation. Also do a google for "easy urpmi". You will be glad you did.