Can't save firewall settings [solved]

Guest Highroller

Guest Highroller

I have a game server which connects directly to the Internet with a 10 MBit LAN (dynamic ip). I can connect to the internet (web browser) but I can't get rid of the ppp+ setting in the Mandrake Control Center firewall (I'm using the swedish version so my translation may not be the best but you know what I mean).

In the firewall control panel I select eth2 (my 3Com NIC) and save but ppp+ is still there when I do it again. So I can't get any traffic in which kind of sucks...

I use 10.1 with higher security. I also have an integrated NIC at eth0 but it's disabled. I've tried to edit the shorewall config file directy and replaced "net ppp+ ..." with "net eth2 ..." but to no avail.

I added a new motherboard, cpu and ram tonight, so I installed over the old installation (not upgrade).

Hope someone can help!

One more thing, is it better to use the integrated NIC for less latency/cpu load?

Best wishes,

//Tom

Hardware info (probably unimportant...)

AMD64 3200+

1024 MB DDR400

Shuttle AN51R motherboard

3Com 3c905B NIC

(Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5788 Gigabit - inactivated)

I have a wireless connection, which I set up manually as wlan0. Even though shorewall has been set up to use it, it does not read the setting back correctly and displays ppp+.

The actual setting has been changed, and I can connect to the internet OK (as you can see). Perhaps you have the same problem.

Guest Highroller

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies! I must say that these forums are great. :banana:

Well everything seems to work fine now but the ppp+ setting is still there. The same thing as Sellis reports I guess. Weird but as long as it works, I won't try to fix it! But I'm going to ask a friend to scan my ip just to make sure the firewall is on... B)

Thanks again!

//Thomas