Network not working - Mandrake 10.1 [solved]

Guest swan

After installing Mandrake 10.1 my networkcard (Marvell Yukon) didn't work. Using Google I found a driver and installed it. Then I used drakconnect to configure eth1 to use DHCP. My Linksys ADSL gateway supports DHCP and i have always used this without any problem on the same PC running WindowsXP.

Everything seems ok, but eth1 doesn't work.

network: Shutting down interface eth1: succeeded
ifup: Determining IP information for eth1
dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
kernel: eth1: no IPv6 routers present
network: Bringing up interace eth1: failed

When i use static-ip (192.168.1.110, subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1) then eth1 come's up, but I still can't use it.

kernel: eth1: Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter
network: Brining up interace eth1: succeeded
kernel: eth1: no IPv6 routers present

Ping 192.168.1.1 says: Destination Host Unreachable

ping 192.168.1.110 works fine.

Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?

I don't know if this will apply, but I had the exact same problem with Mandrake 10.1 when I installed it on a new computer I built. I tried three different network cards, different network cables, different ports....

If I configured the network cards as DHCP it would fail to start the card during boot-up. If I configured the network cards as static they would seem to start and I could ping myself but could not ping my gateway. Incidentally, my sound card also did not work but I didn't know it was related.

I found a thread where someone was having the same problem. They went into the LILO boot settings and did "force no apic". I tried the same thing and suddenly the network cards and sound card started working.

It's just a long shot but it's worth a try......

Phil

I found a thread where someone was having the same problem.  They went into the LILO boot settings and did "force no apic".  I tried the same thing and suddenly the network cards and sound card started working.

It's just a long shot but it's worth a try......

Phil

Wow! For a newbie: can you explain how to set lilo so that it does the "force no apic" ?

Thanks!

ruben