kernel error, version magic should be

Guest waterwheel

Guest waterwheel

I'm trying to work my way through my first kernel recompile. I've got 10.1 installed on a dell 1750 server and I believe I need a recompile due to mandrake not having the correct drivers for my machine (specifically the perc 4/di megaraid drivers).

I downloaded the source for 2.6.10 and followed my instructions from a linux course I'm taking :). I've gotton through most of it, but here's what I'm now seeing in /var/log/kernel/errors:

Feb 16 08:17:44 ns kernel: scsi_mod: version magic '2.6.8.1-12mdksmp SMP 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.10-new SMP PENTIUM4 gcc-3.4'

Feb 16 08:17:44 ns kernel: megaraid: version magic '2.6.8.1-12mdksmp SMP 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.10-new SMP PENTIUM4 gcc-3.4'

Feb 16 08:17:45 ns kernel: sd_mod: version magic '2.6.8.1-12mdksmp SMP 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.10-new SMP PENTIUM4 gcc-3.4'

Feb 16 08:17:45 ns kernel: jbd: version magic '2.6.8.1-12mdksmp SMP 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.10-new SMP PENTIUM4 gcc-3.4'

Feb 16 08:17:45 ns kernel: ext3: version magic '2.6.8.1-12mdksmp SMP 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.10-new SMP PENTIUM4 gcc-3.4'

Now my reading suggests that I need to recompile these modules against the new kernel. two questions:

1) can someone give me a brief rundown on how to recompile these kernels against the new kernel please? I'm a newb at this,so a kick in the right direction and I'll start reading.

2) I think this error is because it thinks it's compiling under different gcc versions. But they seem to be the same gcc version. Do I actually need to recompile the modules since they seem to be compiled under gcc version 3.4? i.e. is there an easier way :) ?

What exactly are you doing to build your own kernel?

The easiest way is:

Download an untar the source in /usr/src

ln -s /usr/src/linux-xxxx (your new kernel) linux

cd /usr/src/linux

make xconfig

file, open /boot/config

edit the config to build the new modules that you need (and everything else you need but better not touch anything you don' t understand)

save and exit

make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

make install

reboot

Good luck.