Printing from windoze to linux

Urza9814

Ok...I'm converting my bro to Linux, and I realized this morning, as my mom was yelling at me because the printer wasn't working, that I'm gonna need some way to print. The printer is an HP PSC 1350, and I found a 1300 driver that I'm gonna hope works, but the problem is how do I set it up so the windozs comp can still print to it? Would that use CUPS or what?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Make sure that you are using the same version of the printer dirver with both machines.

What I mean is, if you have the Linux box setup to print with the 1300 driver, make sure that you have the Windows box set up to print with a windows version of the 1300 driver as well. If you don't some very interesting things start happening. (This is something I found out the hard way.)

The printer is an HP PSC 1350, and I found a 1300 driver that I'm gonna hope works, but the problem is how do I set it up so the windozs comp can still print to it? Would that use CUPS or what?

I just went through this whole thing with an HP 750PSC. First I had to get the PPD file from HP for the 750, although later I think I found I didn't need to. Then I went into the Mandrake Control Console (MCC), went into printers, and imported the PPD for the printer. I told it to share the printer.

Now, the Samba setup is in the MCC under the special "servers" icon but they don't tell you in the manual that you need to use RPM to install DrakWizard or something like that in order to get the silly icon to appear.

Even with setting up the sharing in both the Samba and CUPS I still had to go into etc/samba/smb.conf and manually set some stuff.

Then on the Windows side I linked to the printer and used the built-in Windows drivers for the printer. OH - you will also need to type smbpasswd -a username from the terminal command line in Mandrake to setup the new users for samba. They don't tell you that anywhere, not really. There was a message about using smbpasswd but they never mentioned that the "-a" adds a new user into samba, I thought samba already knew about the users in Mandrake.

It's another example of how you need to read four different manuals and spend a day in Google researching just to do something fairly simple. (My pet peeve :D )

Phil