Mandrake 10.1 Wireless configuration

Guest ifonce

Hi everyone,

I have succeeded to install the 10.1, but I got stuck in configuring the Wireless connection.

I installed the Mandrake in my Pavilion ze5400 laptop, and it has the National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller.

I read the other site where they said I can go to the ATI site and download the X.Org 6.8. After installing the ATI exe file, I still can't make a new Wireless connection.

After choosing the Wireless connection radiobutton, Mandrake keeps sending me back the window where it asks me to "Manually load a driver".

I am new to this, and appreciate your help.

If you're looking to setup the wireless ethernet connection, you'll probably end up using ndiswrapper. I have an HP Pavilion zd7188cl laptop and that's what I had to do.

I'd like to point out that hp's website is as helpfull as a kick in the nuts when trying to find out what kind of wireless card you have.

Anyway, I'll assume that since harddrake didn't find a driver for your card that you'll have to use ndiswrapper and we'll go from there.

(NDISWRAPPER is a program that lets you use the windows wireless card drivers with your linux machine. It's a work-around for companies that don't see the profitability in providing open-source drivers for their hardware yet ;) )

Visit this website and read the section about installation/uninstallation. Pay specific attention to the distro-specific instructions and ignore the section about building a new kernel package:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki...hp/Installation

once that's installed and running, your wireless ethernet should run like a dream. :)

Thank you for all of your responses to my post.

Nchancock

I want to compile the kernel source to make the bzImage, but I can't find where the kernel-source<kernel-version>.rpm is located.

I used 'find -name kernel-source<kernel-version>.rpm', but I couldn't find it out.

Appreciate your help.

Hi everyone again,

I made a little progress, but got stuck again.

After installing ndiswrapper, I tried 3 command lines as following:

ndiswrapper -l

Installed ndis drivers:

bcmwl5a driver present, hardware present

net83815 driver present, hardware present

netwlan driver present

iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID: off/any

Mode: Managed Frequency:2.462GHz

Access Point:00:00:00:00:00

Bit Rate:54Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm

RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr: 2346 B

Encryption key: off

Power Management: off

Link Quality: 100/100 Signal level:-10dBm

Noise level:-256dBm

Rx invalid nwid: 0 Rx invalid crypt: 0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:186094 Missed beacon:0

iwlist wlan0 scan

wlan0 No scan results

Why is my AP 00:00:00:00:00?

Can you set me some light on it? Appreciate all.

I am sorry for the unorganized text. I did indent, but after I added my post, they didn't show up.

Three commands I tried are:

1/ ndiswrapper -l

2/ iwconfig

3/ iwlist wlan0 scan

The rest of my text is the output for each command.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I am sorry for the unorganized text. I did indent, but after I added my post, they didn't show up.

It looks perfectly acceptable as it is, but if you use the CODE button to insert code tags around your outputs, they should come out right. Putting in your own indents doesn't usually work, as the board software has its own way of dealing with white space. :)

Guest znarf

March 4, 2005

Mandrake 10.1 and wireless Ethernet.

:beer:

I cheated a little bit out of frustration. After trying a PCI card on a desktop computer and a USB device on an HP Pavilion N5170, I purchased a D-Link DWL G730 AP wireless access point / gateway. The Geek Squad at Best Buy could not help.

Once connected, mode selected and configured, I was reliably able to connect to my home wireless gateway. The good features of this product are as follows.

1. It uses my functional on-board Ethernet card to jump onto wireless

2. It has two power modes. Plug in and USB. This is great for laptops.

It has several drawbacks.

1. It requires more space (shaving kit size) than a USB or internal card

2. You do not have the signal strength meter.

It is kind-of a sledge hammer approach, but it is down and dirty simple to use.

I can't wait to take this on the road and test it. I hope this helps others.

Sincerely

Znarf of Wisconsin

znarf: yep, using a wireless bridge is my favourite solution, especially for desktop wireless. Other advantages you didn't mention - you can easily shift it over to another ethernet device if necessary, and you can get much better reception by just shifting the bridge away from the PC and giving it some height. you can buy nice cheap wireless bridges from any big electronics store; they're marketed as add-ons for consoles, like the 'wireless gaming adapter' and so forth, but they're actually perfectly generic wireless bridges and work flawlessly with anything with an ethernet port. I use a Linksys model with my HTPC and it works perfectly.