ttyS0 not correct?

Guest Quirky

After installing Mandrake 10.1 Official (virtually problem free install) on my Amilo laptop, there are a couple of nagging things that aren't quite right. One is the serial port...

I wanted to transfer files from an older laptop, a Win98 machine without ethernet card, to this new one. My plan was to use a null modem solution, I have the kit, got the Win98 modem device set up (nullmodem.inf, etc) but I've hit a brick wall on the Linux end. It looks as though the serial port isn properly configured. According to drakhardware, the serial bus is a Silicon Integrated System ‎SiS961/962 SMBus Controller, it looks "recognised". When I try to listen on the serial port however:

# pppd ttyS0 passive noauth 198.169.1.1:198.169.1.2

# tail -f /var/log/messages

Feb 14 21:56:23 localhost pppd[4964]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0

Feb 14 21:56:23 localhost pppd[4964]: Couldn't get channel number: Input/output error

Feb 14 21:56:24 localhost pppd[4964]: Exit.

Also the ports don't seem to have been recognised properly on boot?

# dmesg | grep tty

# setserial /dev/ttyS0

/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

and "forcing" the UART value to 16550A for example produces the LSR safety check engaged! kernel message. Any ideas what might be the problem? Several searches haven't provided the answer.

My other "problem" was that drak says that the laptop has a dual processor, which isn't true. No harm done so far, everything seems stable enough, but it is a bit off putting. It's a pentium 4, correctly identified (twice!) as Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz, the only difference being in the "bogomips" value (6078 and 6111)... only problem is there's only 1 installed.

Fair enough. I just thought I could wing it with stuff I already had, though ethernet cards aren't too pricey even for laptops so I'll probably end up doing that.

The amilo is hyperthreaded (I think, said so on the cardboard box it came in...) so that might explain the odd duality thing, cheers!